Make schools family friendly.
- Install appropriate and sufficient signage.
- Provide an attractive seating area with information for parents, pictures of school life, student work, etc.
- Promote positive contact between the school and the family, by phone, by email and in person.
- Balance student safety and family access to the school.
- Adopt measures to encourage student participation in organizing family activities.
Communicate effectively with families.
- Communicate regularly with families through a variety of means such as:
- formal and informal meetings
- local newspapers
- notes in the agenda
- bulletin board
- wall calendar
- Adapt communications to family circumstances (e.g. language, level of literacy).
- Focus on positive messages; for example, avoid communicating with parents only when problems arise.
- Give families the opportunity to share their concerns, circumstances and perceptions of the school.
- Give families the opportunity to express their needs for guidance, support, training and information.
- Provide families with information about school policies and regulations, such as the code of conduct and food policy.