You will need a Permanent Code and Social Insurance Number to apply online for financial assistance. Your Permanent Code is assigned by the Ministère. It is shown on your secondary school report card and college transcript.

If you have no permanent code

You can still apply for financial assistance using the paper version of the Application for Financial AssistanceLoans and Bursaries Program form. The Ministère will assign a Permanent Code when processing your application.

The request for a permanent code will result in an additional delay in the processing of your application for financial assistance. 

If you were born in Canada, you need to send us your original birth certificate that shows the first and last names of your parents (or a certified true copy signed by an authorized agent of your educational institution).

If you were not born in Canada, you need to send us a legible document such as your birth certificate that shows your city and country of birth and the first and last names of your parents, even if they are deceased. Only originals or certified true copies signed by an authorized agent of your educational institution will be accepted. In addition, you need to provide the original or a certified true copy of one of the following:

  • Canadian Citizen Certificate (both sides if a copy)
  • Permanent Resident Card issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (both sides if a copy)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5688 or IMM 5292)
  • Immigration Record of Landing (IMM 1000, issued until 2002) 

Social Insurance Number

If you do not have a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you can apply at a local Service Canada office, which is part of Employment and Social Development Canada. Check the Employment and Social Development Canada This hyperlink will open in a new window. website to learn what documents are needed for your application.