If you are the father or mother of a student and live with the other parent, the financial resources of both enter into the calculation of the parental contribution. In this case, each parent is required to submit a declaration. However, if you are separated or divorced, only the contribution of the parent with whom the student lives or last lived will be considered.

Please note that no assessment of financial assistance can be added to the student’s file until we have received the declaration form(s) from the parent(s) whose contribution is expected.

Required information

The following information is required in your declaration:

  • Your contact information
  • Your Social Insurance Number
  • Identification information about your dependent children, including the Permanent Code of each one
  • Your gross income as noted on line 199 of your tax return Your income information must be accurate. We systematically cross-check your declared income with Revenu Québec.


You must create an online file to complete your declaration. If you are unable to submit your document electronically, you may mail it to us.

Gross income declared in another province or country but not reported to Revenu Québec

You must provide a copy of your tax return from the other province or country for the stipulated period. If you had income in a country where tax returns do not exist, one of the following documents must be provided:

  • A copy of a letter from your employer(s) that confirms your total income from January 1 to December 31 of the year in question, in local or Canadian currency
  • A copy of a letter from the embassy of the country that confirms your total income from January 1 to December 31 of the year in question, in local or Canadian currency

Income drop of at least 10%

If your income falls by at least 10% during the award year, you can inform us of the situation on the appropriate form.  We will consider your current calendar year income in determining your contribution.

Two forms are available for this purpose:

If both parents live together but only one has a drop in their income, each will still need to fill out the appropriate income drop form that applies to them.

Student loan debt liability

As parents, you are not liable for your children’s student loan debt. Under the Act respecting financial assistance for education expenses, applicants who are eligible for the Loans and Bursaries Program are deemed to have reached majority, whether they are 18 years of age or not.