The Government of Colombia offers five specialized scholarships to Québec students through the Institute of Educational Credit and Technical Studies Abroad (ICETEX). These scholarships cover full-time graduate university studies or doctoral studies at educational institutions in Colombia, recognized by the Ministry of Education of Colombia.
Scholarships are awarded for all programs of study offered by educational institutions in Columbia participating in the call for applications.
To be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- be a Québec resident according to the Regulation respecting the definition of resident in Québec and have your permanent residence in the province within the meaning of the Health Insurance Act and its Regulation respecting the application of the Health Insurance Act
- have a bachelor’s degree
- meet the requirements of the Colombian authorities with respect to the maximum age requirement of 50 years of age
- have at least one year of professional experience in the field of study
- have a sufficient knowledge of Spanish to be able to take courses, do research and write in this language
- be admitted to a program of study at the master’s level or doctoral level, leading to a diploma in Colombia
- be enrolled in the chosen program of study on a full-time basis
Type of support
The five specialized scholarships last for one university year for master’s degree studies, or two university years for doctoral studies They are renewable for an additional university year.
The scholarships cover:
- registration and tuition fees
- accommodation expenses, up to a maximum of 378 962 Colombian pesos, paid in one instalment upon arrival in Colombia
- a maximum of 378 962 Colombian pesos for textbooks and instructional material expenses, paid in one instalment
- a maximum of 2 213 151 Colombian pesos for living and accommodation expenses, paid in four equal instalments, one payment per term
- medical insurance, for an amount equivalent to the medical and hospital assistance granted by ICETEX to the beneficiary
- a maximum of 197 217 Colombian pesos for expenses incurred due to unforeseen circumstances, payable on presentation of the requested documents and at the discretion of ICETEX
The scholarships cover the above-mentioned costs for a maximum of three university years. If the program chosen (specialized, master’s or doctoral) extends beyond the coverage provided by the scholarship, the student will have to pay the extra costs.
ICETEX documents must be completed in Spanish.
Your application must contain one copy of the following documents:
- The ICETEX scholarship application form (in Spanish) .
- The confirmation of registration on the ICETEX web portal is automatically generated at completion of the application process. The link to this portal is at the top of the ICETEXT Notice of Meeting page .
- Your confirmation of admission to a postsecondary institution in Colombia that meets the requirements of your study plan or research project, or your confirmation of invitation issued by such institution. You can choose the educational institution and the program of study or research program you wish to apply for by visiting the ICETEX website .
- The formulaire de confirmation (confirmation form) (PDF 220 Kb).
- Two recent passport-size photographs.
- A letter of recommendation from your employer including the date when your mandate begins and ends, as well as your main responsibilities and duties. This letter must be sent by the signatory directly to the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur.
- Official transcripts of your university studies.
You must submit two copies of the following documents in your application package, one in French and one in Spanish:
- A letter of intent describing and justifying your study plan or research project in Colombia.
- A certified photocopy of the most recent diploma you have obtained.
- A recent medical certificate (30 days or less).
- A detailed description of your study plan or research project. This description should include a definition of the topic, an outline of the project, a review of the literature and a presentation of the research method.
- Your résumé (maximum of two pages).
- A certificate attesting to your knowledge of Spanish. Certificates completed by a language assistant will not be accepted.
- A photocopy of your act of birth certified by a Commissioner for Oaths. If you were not born in Canada, you must provide a proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residence and proof of your status as a Québec resident as defined in the Regulation respecting the definition of resident in Québec.
- A photocopy of the page of your passport showing your photo.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation, typed on the official letterhead of the educational institution from which they originate, and signed in ink. If applicable, one of these letters must be written by your research supervisor. Both of these letters must be sent by their signatories or by the educational institution directly to the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur.
You must gather your application documents into a single, compressed, encrypted and password-protected folder. Then send it to the Ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur at the following email address:
You must provide the Ministère with your password separately. This can be done by:
- an email that is separate from the one containing the encrypted folder
Application deadline: to be determined
An evaluation committee examines the applications in accordance with the following criteria:
- previous educational experience
- relevance of the study plan or research project (expected spin-offs for the host and home communities, and for the applicant’s personal journey)
- motivation (e.g. interest in discovering the culture and learning the language of the host country)
- careful presentation of the application
The government offering the scholarships makes the final selection.
Last update: May 5, 2022