How to Apply
The Deferred Payment Plan tab and application form will only be available if you meet the minimum conditions for eligibility. In particular, in addition to the requirement of repaying amounts received as loans, you must:
- Have interrupted or finished your studies at least six months ago (end of the 6-month option)
- Not have reached the 120-month limit following the end of the 6-month option
- You did not register for voluntary deposit per the Code of Civil Procedure
- Not have sought protection under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
Take the following steps to benefit from the Deferred Payment Plan:
- Fill out and submit the Deferred Payment Plan Web application form, which is available in the Deferred Payment Plan tab in your on-line file.
You will need to have various pieces of information in hand before you start to fill out the form.
In order to fill out the form, you need to know your actual or expected gross income before deductions for each of the months covered by your application.
- Take note of the contents of the form’s Receipt notice and required documents that will enable us to process your application. This form is always accessible.
- You also need to send us all documents we require and in particular proofs of gross income before deductions covering the already-completed months for the period that will be shown on your form.
- Please be aware that your application will not be processed until we have received all required documents and that all your documents must be submitted in a single envelope. Once Aide financière aux études receives a single document it presumes it has received all documents it needs to process your file.
You can submit your documents easily and securely by uploading them right into your on-line file.
If you are unable to provide a document in digital format, you can mail it to us.
- If a favorable decision is made after your application has been analyzed, a monthly payment amount will be determined. You can check the status in your on-line file. If you did not provide an e-mail address, you will also receive a letter.
Important note: Your application to the Deferred Payment Plan is a commitment on your part. If Aide financière aux études determines that a monthly payment is required, your financial institution will be automatically notified and will withdraw that amount for each of the six months covered by your application.
However, if your application covers a period that has already begun, the payments expected for the months that are over will be withdrawn in a single cumulative debit shortly after your application is accepted.
For example, if an application is accepted on June 17 for the April-September period and involves a monthly payment of $75, the payments for April and May, totaling $150, will be withdrawn in a single debit shortly after June 17.
- After you receive a favorable decision by e-mail or letter and if a monthly repayment amount is required, you will need to ensure that your financial institution has your current banking information and that sufficient funds are in your account on the day that payments are debited in each of the months covered by your application.
If your situation has not changed by the end of the period covered by your application and you wish to again benefit from the Plan, you will need to submit a new application so that your eligibility can be determined.