Are you a seasonal worker who is receiving employment insurance? You could be entitled to short-term training courses and financial assistance to help transition between the off season and periods of work.
To qualify, you must meet the following conditions:
- Have held seasonal work
- Be an employment insurance beneficiary
- Expect to return to the same seasonal job you held for the same employer or for another employer in the same activity sector
- Agree to take training
- Not have work income
Financial assistance provided
If you participate in training, you could receive a participation allowance equal to the employment insurance benefit you were receiving. The allowance is $300 or more a week.
You could also be reimbursed for related expenses such as transportation and child care.
The training available can help you improve your skills in your area of expertise. Here are examples of short-term training courses that are offerred, depending on the region:
- Computer skills for beginners
- Customer service
- Introduction to professional cooking (restaurants)
- Second languages (English and Spanish)
- Effective management (accounting, etc.)
- Effective public speaking
Last update: April 5, 2019