Job search assessment
Looking for work is not always easy and you may feel discouraged at times. Try to keep your spirits up. Talk to your friends; they can be supportive. Take part in sports to help burn off stress. Stick with it and don’t lose hope. Keep reminding yourself that somewhere out there, there’s a job for you.
If you’ve been looking for work for a while but still haven’t found a job, now’s the time to assess your job search efforts:
- Ask yourself if you have the skills required for the job you want.
- Find out more about the labour market. You may discover that demand for your trade or occupation is higher in regions other than the one you’ve focused on.
- Revise your résumé. Your education, work experience and skills should highlight what you have to offer, and you should describe them clearly.
- Go over your portfolio again or think about putting one together if you don't have one. Your portfolio should include documents that show you have the skills for the job.
- Tailor your cover letter to each job application.
- Reconsider your job leads. Improve your chances by combining a number of job search methods.
- Double-check your list of employers. There may be more companies with job openings in your field than you think.
- Contact your local employment centre (CLE) to find out where you can access:
- Documents on how to prepare for an interview
- Training sessions on job search techniques and tools, including Online Placement
- People who can help you. There are organizations that specialize in supporting people who are struggling to find a job, or assisting a specific clientele such as women, young people, people 45 or older, the disabled, immigrants, and persons who have had trouble with the law or have a criminal record.
- Talk to people you know about your job search. The more people who know you’re looking for a job, the more likely you are to obtain job leads.
- Ask yourself if you are spending enough time looking for a job. Job searching is a full-time occupation (unless you are already employed).
- Montréal area
- Elsewhere in Quebec
1‑877‑767-8773 (toll free)
- Office hours and other ways to contact us