Job for the future Dental Hygienists
Average hourly wage
These individuals provide dental hygiene treatment and teach measures to prevent oral diseases and conditions. They use, under the guidance of a dentist, scientific methods for the control and prevention of such conditions. They work in:
- Dental offices
- Educational institutions
- Private industries
- Government agencies
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer to be in contact with others, in particular to entertain, help or teach them.
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- Assess clients’ oral condition.
- Re-evaluate oral condition during and after dental hygiene procedures, treatments, and care.
- Take impressions of teeth and make a mouth guard from the impressions, as required.
- Plan dental hygiene treatments based on assessment, diagnosis, and prognosis.
- Advising clients on oral hygiene.
- Clean and stimulate the gums and remove stains and tartar to prevent disease and cavities.
- Perform restorative dentistry or orthodontic procedures under the direction of a dentist.
- Supervise dental assistants.
- Doing record keeping.
- Perform a variety of oral procedures such as
- Topically apply desensitizing substances.
- Remove stitches and periodontal dressings.
- Proceed with supra- and subgingival scaling.
- Take X-rays.
DCS in dental Hygiene
Placement rate: 93.1%
3.7% of graduates pursue further studies
- All regions/national
Last update: April 28, 2023