If you need additional training to find a job or keep your current one, the Manpower Training measure can provide financial assistance while you learn, and even reimburse you for your training expenses.

Who is this program designed for?

You can take part in this program if:

How does the program work?

The training programs you take will help you keep your job and upgrade your skills, or enter the labour market as soon as possible. As a rule, the programs must offer good job prospects in your region.

Here are a few examples:

  • literacy courses designed to assist you with reading, writing, math or basic computer use
  • French courses to help you enter the job market
  • learning a language other than French (English, Spanish or another language)
  • completing your general education (at various levels) prior to going on to vocational or technical training
  • vocational training at the secondary school level
  • college-level technical training
  • short-term university programs (such as certificate programs), provided they enable you to keep your job or re-enter the job market
  • on-the-job training activities at a training business, designed to help you develop job skills in real-life situations

See the Labour Market Information (LMI Online) This hyperlink will open in a new window. website to find out what programs are available at schools and other institutions.


Contact your local employment centre (CLE). An assistance officer will assess your needs and situation and help you determine whether this program is right for you.

Find your local employment centre (CLE) This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Questions & Answers

How long does the training program take?

The duration of your training program depends on the type of training and your specific needs, but it should not be more than 36 months (three years). Normally, training activities are full-time.

How much financial assistance is provided?

The amount of financial assistance depends on your situation and is determined when you enrol. You may also be entitled to reimbursement of the following expenses:

  • child care expenses
  • transportation expenses
  • training expenses, including tuition fees
  • living expenses, if you have to train far from home