Québec-France Agreement

Thanks to an agreement between Québec and France, it is now easier for qualified workers to practice their profession or their trade in either territory.

Persons who are qualified to work in the applicable trades and professions in Québec can also work in France, and vice versa.

Note that the Agreement does not change the regular rules for immigration to Québec. To take advantage of the Agreement in Québec, you must follow the applicable immigration process and hold the required stay document.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for the Agreement This hyperlink will open in a new window., a worker’s profession, trade or functions must be covered under the provisions of a Mutual Recognition Arrangement (MRAs) (French only)

If a worker is qualified in a trade other than a construction trade, he or she must also meet one of the following requirements:

  • They must have received their credentials from an educational institution recognized in France or Québec.
  • They must hold a valid permit to work in their trade or profession in France or Québec.

Application of the Agreement

The Agreement has generated mutual recognition arrangements (MRAs) in some 50 trades and professions. The provisions of these MRAs vary from one field to another.

If you would like to practise a trade in France under the Agreement (trade that is regulated in Québec—compulsory qualification)

If you have a certificate of qualification issued by Emploi-Québec for a regulated trade and wish to work in France, it is possible to have the certificate recognized in France. See the website of the Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration (OFII) (French only) This hyperlink will open in a new window..

If you would like to obtain a certificate of qualification to practise a trade in France (trade that is regulated in Québec but for which qualification is voluntary)

If you would like to learn the requirements for trades covered by the Agreement and obtain information on the procedure that has to be followed, see the website of the Office français de l’immigration et de l’intégration (OFII) (French only) This hyperlink will open in a new window..

You may have to submit an attestation of experience to have your certificate of qualification recognized. In that case, you must complete an attestation of experience form, provide the requested documents and send them to the address indicated on the form.

The Direction du développement des compétences et de l’intervention sectorielle will study your file and, if applicable, send you a letter certifying your experience.