Getting a job or doing an internship while you are still in school is an excellent way to gain professional experience, develop skills, and establish professional contacts.
Finding a student job or an internship requires organization and preparation.
Organize your job search
In order to maximize your chances of quickly finding employment or an internship that corresponds to your criteria, you must organize your job search. Find out how to do this in the Job Search Tips section.
Find a job or internship through Online Placement
The Online Placement website is an excellent tool designed to help you find a student job or paid internship.
On this website you can do the following:
- Submit your candidacy to employers
- Search job listings
- Apply online for student jobs and internships
- Create Job Alerts so you're notified whenever new offers in your field are posted
See the Online Placement site.
Note: Remember to reactivate your file every year.
Use the right job search tools
In order to apply for a job, you need to have at hand at least a résumé and a cover letter. Find out how to prepare these documents in the Job Search Tips section.
To learn about job prospects, wages, and job descriptions relating to a given trade or occupation, see the Explore a trade or occupation section on the LMI Online website.
You can obtain contact information for businesses that might have a job for you from the Find a business section on the LMI Online website.
Useful information on job hunting for students is also available on our Facebook page Emploi étudiant au Québec (French only) , including the following posts (French only):
- 8 pistes à privilégier pour un CV gagnant (strategies for writing a winning résumé);
- 8 conseils pour réussir votre entrevue d’emploi (tips for a successful interview);
- 6 conseils pour une lettre de présentation efficace (tips for writing an effective cover letter);
- Tout ce que vous devez savoir pour réussir les tests de recrutement (succeeding recruitment tests);
- 6 choses à faire absolument avant de commencer votre recherche d’emploi (things to do before starting your job search);
- Le portfolio, un outil dynamique pour tous les chercheurs d’emploi (the use of a portfolio during a job search);
Last update: March 25, 2019