These individuals design and develop methods, processes, and equipment related to health care services. They ensure the functionality of medical equipment. They work mainly in hospitals.
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Design and develop methods, equipment, and instruments to refine medical diagnostics.
- Design prostheses for the disabled.
- Advise on the use of medical equipment.
- Identify the devices to be replaced by new technologies.
- Install or modify equipment.
- Work in collaboration with Physicians, Nurses, Administrative Staff, and Managers.
- Conduct medical research as required.
Advancement and mobility
- Experience leads to senior or supervisory positions.
Training and requirements
Biological or biomedical engineering
Placement rate: 76.5%
23.5% of graduates pursue further studies
Placement rate: 50%
50% of graduates pursue further studies
- Membership in the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ [Quebec Order of Engineers]) to practice as an Engineer and carry out reserved activities.
- A Doctoral or Master’s degree in a related engineering discipline may be required.
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Information processing
- Critical thought
- Reading comprehension
- Active listening
- Judgment and decision-making
- Solving complex problems
- Oral expression
- System analysis
- Operation analysis
- Result evaluation
- Written expression
- Active learning
- Technological design
- Time management
- Quality control analysis
- Human resource management
- Service oriented
- Social perception
- Learning strategies
- Written comprehension
- Deductive reasoning
- Inductive reasoning
- Oral comprehension
- Awareness of issues
- Written expression
- Verbal skills
- Mathematical reasoning
- Near vision
- Information organization
- Speech recognition
- Processing flexibility
- Idea generation
- Speech clarity
- Basic numeracy
- Selective attention
- Perception speed
- Distance vision
Knowledge and attributes
- Critical thinking
- Spoken and written bilingualism (French and English)
- Capacity to delegate
- Knowledge of mathematics
- Desire to upgrade one’s competencies
- Knowledge of engineering and technology
- Knowledge of biology
- Direct, organize, and manage
- Draft, communicate, and inform
- Work with numbers
- Create, design
- Carry out research
- Make technical plans and drawings
- Conduct tests and trials, control processes
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer having responsibilities, influencing others and responding to challenges.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Other professional engineers, n.e.c. (CNP 2148)
Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
Last update: April 28, 2023