These individuals plan and make recommendations on the use of a territory (land, facilities, services, etc.). They ensure a harmonious use of these spaces that meets the needs of citizens. They are self-employed or work for:
- The public service
- Engineering or consulting firms
- Architectural and urban planning firms
- The community environment
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Collect and analyze data on economic, social, political, cultural, and environmental factors.
- Develop and supervise planning and development schemes, urban plans, and urban regulations.
- Present plans to civil, rural, and regional authorities.
- Collect and analyze data on factors influencing land use.
- Hold public meetings to present plans, proposals, and completed studies to the general public and interest groups.
- Prepare development plans to protect wildlife areas, parks, and water bodies.
- Negotiate agreements for development projects.
- Design development projects and supervise their implementation.
- Consider the positions defended by citizen groups, elected officials, promoters, and developers.
Advancement and mobility
- Experience leads to management positions.
Training and requirements
Placement rate: 65.5%
28.7% of graduates pursue further studies
Placement rate: 88.7%
3.2% of graduates pursue further studies
- Membership in the Ordre des urbanistes du Québec (OUQ [Quebec Order of Urban Planners]).
- A Master’s degree in one of the following areas may be required:
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Environmental Design and Planning
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners may be required.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification may be required.
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Information processing
- Reading comprehension
- Active listening
- Oral expression
- Judgment and decision-making
- Critical thought
- System analysis
- Written expression
- Active learning
- Social perception
- Solving complex problems
- Operation analysis
- Time management
- Result evaluation
- Human resource management
- Service oriented
- Learning strategies
- Verbal skills
- Written comprehension
- Oral comprehension
- Written expression
- Speech clarity
- Deductive reasoning
- Awareness of issues
- Inductive reasoning
- Speech recognition
- Information organization
- Idea generation
- Near vision
- Mathematical reasoning
- Distance vision
Knowledge and attributes
- Sense of responsibility
- Capacity to influence and mobilize
- Knowledge of mathematics
- Attention to detail
- Intermediate knowledge of the English language
- Respect standards and regulations
- Knowledge of buildings and construction
- Direct, organize, and manage
- Draft, communicate, and inform
- Create, design
- Collect, verify, sort, and classify data or information
- Make technical plans and drawings
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer having responsibilities, influencing others and responding to challenges.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Urban and land use planners (CNP 2153)
Natural and applied sciences and related occupations
Last update: December 22, 2022