These individuals perform laboratory tests on the human body to help diagnose and treat diseases. They work at the patient’s bedside or in :
- Private and clinical laboratories
- Collection centres
- Research centres
- Colleges and universities
- The pharmaceutical industry
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Hazardous chemical
- Biological agents
- Collect biological samples according to a prescription.
- Prepare samples for testing and analysis.
- Interpret and validate biomedical analysis results.
- Perform phlebotomies according to a prescription.
- Introduce an instrument according to a prescription.
- Administer medications or other substances, including intravenously.
- Resolve transfusion problems, as required.
- Guide patients in the purchase and use of self-monitoring devices (blood glucose, cholesterol, etc.).
- Update existing techniques or develop new techniques.
- Introduce an instrument, according to a prescription, into any orifice of the human body (pharynx, nasal vestibule, urinary meatus, etc.).
Advancement and mobility
- These individuals work in one of the following fields of activity:
- Molecular biology
- Transfusion Medicine
- Experience leads to management positions.
Training and requirements
Most training programs are offered in French only.
DCS in biomedical Laboratory Technology
Code : 140C0
Placement rate: 87%
9.8% of graduates pursue further studies
- Membership in the Ordre professionnel des technologistes médicaux du Québec (OPTMQ [Quebec Order of Professional Medical Technologists]).
- A licence as a Medical Technologist working in Medical Biology is required for licensing as a Medical Technologist working in cytopathology.
- An attestation for successfully completing a prescribed course in Pharmacology is required to administer (intravenous or not) drugs or other substances.
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Information processing
- Reading comprehension
- Active listening
- Critical thought
- Monitoring operations
- Quality control analysis
- Active learning
- Result evaluation
- Oral expression
- Solving complex problems
- Written expression
- Time management
- Judgment and decision-making
- Service oriented
- Social perception
- Written comprehension
- Near vision
- Oral comprehension
- Inductive reasoning
- Deductive reasoning
- Information organization
- Awareness of issues
- Verbal skills
- Selective attention
- Speech clarity
- Colour perception and distinction
- Control accuracy
- Speech recognition
- Processing flexibility
- Hand-arm stability
- Digital dexterity
- Distance vision
- Manual dexterity
- Written expression
- Basic numeracy
- Mathematical reasoning
- Perception speed
- Information processing speed
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Capacity to adapt
- Knowledge of customer and personalized services
- Capacity to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Capacity to be discrete
- Tolerance to stress
- Direct, organize, and manage
- Draft, communicate, and inform
- Carry out research
- Work manually
- Conduct tests and trials, control processes
- Teach or educate
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer specific, well-defined tasks. They like to respect the order of things and follow established rules.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Medical laboratory technologists (CNP 3211)
Last update: April 28, 2023