Radiation Oncology Technologists
These individuals use, among other things, radiation to carry out treatments or produce images. These radiations are intended to contribute to the treatment of people with cancer. Radiation oncology technologists work in cancer treatment centres in hospitals.
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Equipment, machinery, tools
- Biological agents
- Administer radiation prescribed by Radiation Oncologists.
- Ensure that radiotherapy equipment works properly.
- Collaborate in the development of the radiotherapy program.
- Assist in the preparation of radioactive sources and the manufacture of accessories for dose administration.
- Monitor and care for patients during treatment.
- Explain to patients the possible side effects of radiation.
- Train and supervise students and other technologists.
- Demonstrate precision in the use of equipment.
Advancement and mobility
- Additional training enables some mobility between the three groups of Medical Radiation Technologists.
- These individuals may specialize in various fields (mammography, magnetic resonance imaging, etc.).
Training and requirements
DCS in radiation Oncology Technology
Placement rate: 88%
4% of graduates pursue further studies
- Membership in the Ordre des technologues en imagerie médicale, en radio-oncologie et en électrophysiologie médicale (OTIMROEPMQ [Quebec Order of Medical Imaging, Radiation Oncology and Medical Electrophysiology Technologists]).
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Information processing
- Reading comprehension
- Active listening
- Critical thought
- Social perception
- Monitoring operations
- Result evaluation
- Oral expression
- Service oriented
- Written expression
- Operations and control
- Time management
- Solving complex problems
- Active learning
- Oral comprehension
- Verbal skills
- Awareness of issues
- Written comprehension
- Written expression
- Information organization
- Deductive reasoning
- Speech clarity
- Hand-arm stability
- Near vision
- Inductive reasoning
- Speech recognition
- Selective attention
- Control accuracy
- Distance vision
- Limb coordination
- Digital dexterity
- Manual dexterity
- Idea generation
- Processing flexibility
Knowledge and attributes
- Sense of responsibility
- Knowledge of customer and personalized services
- Capacity to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Capacity to be discrete
- Respect standards and regulations
- Knowledge of medicine or dentistry
- Conduct tests and trials, control processes
- Assist or care for people
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer to be in contact with others, in particular to entertain, help or teach them.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Medical radiation technologists (CNP 3215)
Last update: April 28, 2023