These individuals intervene with people who are experiencing adjustment difficulties. Such difficulties manifest themselves on a behavioural level in their different living environments. They evaluate individuals’ adaptation in order to intervene effectively. They are self-employed or work in:
- School environments
- Integrated health and social services centres (CISSS)
- Youth centres
- Centres for the rehabilitation of intellectual disabilities and pervasive developmental disorders (CRDITED)
- Community organizations
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Assess the psychosocial adaptation and adaptive capacities of individuals or groups.
- Establish, propose, and implement programs and intervention plans.
- Observe and analyze people interacting with their environment.
- Organize, facilitate, and use people’s living environment to support them in their adaptation process.
- Offer people information on health promotion and prevention of illness, accidents, and social problems.
- Advise stakeholders from different backgrounds.
- Play a preventive role with clients in difficulty.
- Defuse crises or emergency situations, as required.
Advancement and mobility
- Psychotherapy permit issued by the Ordre des psychologues du Québec allows Psychoeducators to bear the title of Psychotherapist and to practise psychotherapy.
- Family mediation accreditation permit issued by the Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec (OTSTCFQ [Quebec Order of Social Workers and Conjugal and Family Therapists]) allows Psychoeducators to use the title of Accredited Family Mediator.
Training and requirements
Placement rate: 33.3%
64.5% of graduates pursue further studies
Placement rate: 91%
4.5% of graduates pursue further studies
- Membership in the Ordre des psychoéducateurs et psychoéducatrices du Québec (OPPQ [Quebec Order of Psychoeducators]).
- Training in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) may be required.
Main skills and characteristics
- Active listening
- Social perception
- Data collection
- Oral expression
- Service oriented
- Result evaluation
- Written expression
- Judgment and decision-making
- Critical thought
- Reading comprehension
- Active learning
- Learning strategies
- Information processing
- Solving complex problems
- System analysis
- Operation analysis
- Human resource management
- Time management
- Oral comprehension
- Verbal skills
- Awareness of issues
- Written comprehension
- Written expression
- Inductive reasoning
- Speech clarity
- Deductive reasoning
- Speech recognition
- Idea generation
- Selective attention
- Information organization
- Near vision
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to establish and maintain interpersonal relations
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Critical thinking
- Sense of responsibility
- Capacity to adapt
- Capacity to work in a team
- Capacity to facilitate a group
- Knowledge of psychology
- Knowledge of therapy and counselling
- Draft, communicate, and inform
- Assist and advise
- Teach or educate
- Assist or care for people
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer to be in contact with others, in particular to entertain, help or teach them.
- People with this profile prefer to express their emotions and thoughts through various art forms. They like to use their imagination.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Education, law and social, community and government services
Last update: April 28, 2023