Home Support Workers
These individuals help elderly and frail people in their daily tasks. This assistance enables them to stay at home independently for longer periods of time.
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Climatic conditions
- Perform regular housekeeping tasks (doing laundry, washing dishes, making beds, etc.).
- Supervise the taking of medication.
- Prepare meals and feed or help feed people.
- Shop for people and prepare a simple meal without diet restrictions.
- Provide support for clothing and hygiene care.
- Accompany people in their outings.
- Maintain clothing and linens.
- Perform seasonal housekeeping.
- Assist young, elderly, or disabled people and young families.
Training and requirements
DVS in assistance à la personne en établissement et à domicile
Placement rate: 79.6%
12.3% of graduates pursue further studies
DVS in institutional and Home Care Assistance
Placement rate: 78.8%
15.1% of graduates pursue further studies
- Training in first aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is often required.
- Job-related experience is often required.
- Home economics experience may be required.
- Training in home support services may be required.
- Training in principles for moving clients safely (PDSB) is often required.
- A Class 5 driver’s licence may be required.
- Physical fitness is usually required.
- Training in elder care, disability, or convalescent care, or in a related program may be required.
Main skills and characteristics
- Active listening
- Information processing
- Service oriented
- Social perception
- Critical thought
- Data collection
- Reading comprehension
- Result evaluation
- Written expression
- Oral expression
- Time management
- Active learning
- Judgment and decision-making
- Solving complex problems
- Learning strategies
- Verbal skills
- Oral comprehension
- Awareness of issues
- Near vision
- Inductive reasoning
- Speech clarity
- Information organization
- Deductive reasoning
- Speech recognition
- Written expression
- Selective attention
- Written comprehension
- Idea generation
- Time sharing
- Hand-arm stability
- Distance vision
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to establish and maintain interpersonal relations
- Sense of responsibility
- Knowledge of customer and personalized services
- Capacity to be discrete
- Assiduity and punctuality
- Respect others
- Sense of observation
- Assist and advise
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer to be in contact with others, in particular to entertain, help or teach them.
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer having responsibilities, influencing others and responding to challenges.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Home support workers, housekeepers and related occupations (CNP 4412)
Education, law and social, community and government services
This occupation is targeted by a Workplace Apprenticeship Program
Last update: April 28, 2023