These individuals transpose texts from one language into another, faithfully conveying the message. They translate various types of written documents (literary works, school textbooks, research reports, etc.). They often translate from a second or third language into their mother tongue. They are self-employed or work for:
- National or international organizations
- Private companies
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Faithfully convey the content, context, and style of the source text.
- Adapt technological applications and technical documents to another language and culture.
- Review and correct translated texts.
- Train and supervise other translators, as required.
Advancement and mobility
- These individuals may specialize in various fields (administrative, literary, scientific translation, etc.).
Training and requirements
Placement rate: 80.1%
10.2% of graduates pursue further studies
Placement rate: 82.9%
11.4% of graduates pursue further studies
- Membership in the Ordre des traducteurs, terminologues et interprètes agréés du Québec (OTTIAQ [Quebec Order of Certified Translators, Terminologists and Interprets]) to practise under the title of Certified Translator (C. Tr.).
- Language transfer course.
- Two to five years of full-time translation experience, in a pair of languages, may be required.
- Language pair does not necessarily include French.
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Active listening
- Oral expression
- Reading comprehension
- Information processing
- Written expression
- Critical thought
- Result evaluation
- Active learning
- Judgment and decision-making
- Service oriented
- Social perception
- Learning strategies
- Time management
- Solving complex problems
- Oral comprehension
- Verbal skills
- Speech recognition
- Speech clarity
- Written comprehension
- Written expression
- Near vision
- Information organization
- Awareness of issues
- Auditory attention
- Selective attention
- Hearing sensitivity
- Deductive reasoning
- Inductive reasoning
- Time sharing
- Perception speed
- Information processing speed
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Critical thinking
- Capacity to adapt
- Spoken and written bilingualism (French and English)
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of computer science, digital and electronics
- Sense of observation
- Knowledge of a foreign language
- Draft, communicate, and inform
- Work in the arts, culture, music, or leisure
- Work in an office
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer specific, well-defined tasks. They like to respect the order of things and follow established rules.
- People with this profile prefer to be in contact with others, in particular to entertain, help or teach them.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Translators, terminologists and interpreters (CNP 5125)
Art, culture, recreation and sport
Last update: March 27, 2023