These individuals prepare bakery products for sale (bread, pastries, etc.). They work in:
- Grocery stores and supermarkets
- Cruise ships
- Hospitals facilities
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Equipment, machinery, tools
- Nontoxic dust
- Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Choose the raw materials according to the products to prepare.
- Make and bake the breads and viennoiseries.
- Advise customers.
- Pack and label products.
- Rotate perishable goods according to company policy.
- Fill up refrigerated displays and stands.
- Order goods as needed.
- Maintain equipment, displays, and work area.
- Respect the standards of hygiene, health, and safety.
- Receive goods and store them according to the company’s requirements.
Advancement and mobility
- Experience leads to senior or managerial positions.
- Qualified bakers receive a Red Seal endorsement upon successful completion of the Interprovincial Examination.
Training and requirements
- Experience as a baker is often required.
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Result evaluation
- Active learning
- Active listening
- Oral expression
- Time management
- Judgment and decision-making
- Critical thought
- Near vision
- Oral comprehension
- Verbal skills
- Colour perception and distinction
- Speech recognition
- Awareness of issues
- Selective attention
- Speech clarity
- Written comprehension
- Digital dexterity
- Manual dexterity
- Information organization
- Control accuracy
- Deductive reasoning
- Perception speed
- Hand-arm stability
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to adapt
- Capacity to work in a team
- Knowledge of production and treatment
- Respect standards and regulations
- Assiduity and punctuality
- Commitment to quality
- Work in sales or client service
- Work in hotels, restaurants, and tourism
- Work manually
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer to express their emotions and thoughts through various art forms. They like to use their imagination.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Bakers (CNP 6332)
Sales and service
This occupation is targeted by a Workplace Apprenticeship Program
Last update: May 5, 2022
We are currently assessing user satisfaction for the Trades and Occupations section. Follow the link to participate in the survey , which will take approximately 2 minutes of your time. Participation is on a voluntary basis and the information provided will be kept confidential.
If you want to share your experience on behalf of your business, you must complete the survey in French in accordance with the Charter of the French language.