These individuals cut, assemble, repair, reform, and weld metal parts into a final product. They are employed in factories, service, and construction companies.
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Climatic conditions
- Equipment, machinery, tools
- Hazardous chemical
- Nontoxic dust
- Uncontrolled ambient temperature
- Hazardous workplaces
- Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Falling objects
- Read and interpret welding drawings or technical specifications.
- Perform preparatory work for welding and assembly (select materials, cut parts, etc.).
- Repair parts of metal products.
- Weld parts using various devices specific to the field (e.g. material forming machines).
- Ensure quality control of the welded product.
- Ensure compliance with safety standards.
Advancement and mobility
- Qualified Welders obtain a Red Seal endorsement upon successful completion of the Interprovincial Examination.
- Experience leads to supervisory positions.
- Additional qualifications may be obtained from the Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB).
Training and requirements
AVS in soudage haute pression
Placement rate: 84.9%
7.9% of graduates pursue further studies
STC in soudage semi-automatique GMAW et FCAW
DVS in soudage-assemblage (Nouvelle version)
DVS in soudage-montage
Placement rate: 80.2%
14.9% of graduates pursue further studies
- A Class 5 driver’s licence may be required.
- Apprenticeship Certificate of Qualification may be required to work on construction sites.
- Occupation Certificate of Competence allows you to perform welding on construction sites.
Main skills and characteristics
- Operations and control
- Critical thought
- Information processing
- Reading comprehension
- Result evaluation
- Hand-arm stability
- Near vision
- Limb coordination
- Control accuracy
- Awareness of issues
- Manual dexterity
- Selective attention
- Static muscle power
- Information organization
- Depth perception
- Oral comprehension
- Digital dexterity
- Core strength
- Verbal skills
- Deductive reasoning
- Speech recognition
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Respect standards and regulations
- Sense of observation
- Knowledge of buildings and construction
- Knowledge of mechanics
- Make, build, install
- Work manually
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer to be in contact with others, in particular to entertain, help or teach them.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Welders and related machine operators (CNP 7237)
Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
Last update: March 17, 2023