These individuals manipulate, move, and assemble metal parts from plans. They are employed in factories, service, or construction companies.
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Climatic conditions
- Equipment, machinery, tools
- Hazardous chemical
- Nontoxic dust
- Uncontrolled ambient temperature
- Fire, steam, hot surfaces
- Falling objects
- Read and interpret welding plans and instructions.
- Plans welding assembly work (e.g. verify the conformity of the material used).
- Assemble parts as well as complex and bulky structures.
- Apply various welding processes (SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, etc.).
- Participate in the production of various metal products such as mechanically welded assemblies, structures, or tanks.
- Assess the quality of the assembly-welding work.
- Ensure compliance with quality and safety standards.
- Maintain the workspace.
Advancement and mobility
- Welder-Assemblers become Red Seal Certified upon successful completion of the Interprovincial Standards Examination.
- Experience leads to senior positions.
Training and requirements
STC in soudage semi-automatique GMAW et FCAW
DVS in soudage-assemblage (Nouvelle version)
DVS in soudage-montage
Placement rate: 80.2%
14.9% of graduates pursue further studies
Main skills and characteristics
- Operations and control
- Critical thought
- Information processing
- Reading comprehension
- Result evaluation
- Hand-arm stability
- Near vision
- Limb coordination
- Control accuracy
- Awareness of issues
- Manual dexterity
- Selective attention
- Static muscle power
- Information organization
- Depth perception
- Oral comprehension
- Digital dexterity
- Core strength
- Verbal skills
- Deductive reasoning
- Speech recognition
Knowledge and attributes
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Critical thinking
- Capacity to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Respect standards and regulations
- Sense of observation
- Knowledge of buildings and construction
- Tolerance to routine work
- Make, build, install
- Work manually
- Work outdoors
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer specific, well-defined tasks. They like to respect the order of things and follow established rules.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Welders and related machine operators (CNP 7237)
Trades, transport and equipment operators and related occupations
This occupation is targeted by a Workplace Apprenticeship Program
Last update: March 17, 2023