Wood Harvesting Machinery Operators
These individuals operate and maintain machines used for wood harvesting in a logging yard. These machines are used to cut, skid, shape, or load wood. They are employed by logging companies and contractors.
- Controlled ambient temperature
- Climatic conditions
- Equipment, machinery, tools
- Vehicle or passenger compartment
- Nontoxic dust
- Hazardous workplaces
- Falling objects
- Assess the site and the terrain.
- Conduct safety inspections before using the equipment.
- Drive and operate wood harvesting machinery.
- Carry out machine maintenance.
- Ensure compliance with environmental protection standards and safety regulations in force.
Advancement and mobility
- There is some mobility towards increasingly complex machine operator positions.
- There is some mobility between similar companies.
- Experience leads to supervisory positions.
Training and requirements
- Experience (variable according to the complexity of the material used).
- Knowledge of tree harvesting regulations.
- Class 5 driver's licence.
- A Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) certificate may be required.
- First aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training may be required.
Main skills and characteristics
- Data collection
- Operations and control
- Monitoring operations
- Equipment maintenance
- Quality control analysis
- Active listening
- Result evaluation
- Control accuracy
- Reaction time
- Limb coordination
- Hand-arm stability
- Depth perception
- Speed control
- Response orientation
- Awareness of issues
- Distance vision
- Near vision
- Manual dexterity
- Colour perception and distinction
- Perception speed
- Selective attention
- Oral comprehension
- Digital dexterity
- Core strength
- Verbal skills
- Information organization
- Spatial orientation
Knowledge and attributes
- Sense of responsibility
- Capacity to work in a team
- Tolerance to stress
- Respect standards and regulations
- Assiduity and punctuality
- Sense of observation
- Knowledge of public safety and security
- Tolerance to frequent temperature variations
- Knowledge of mechanics
- Work in transportation and maintenance
- Develop and exploit natural resources
- Work outdoors
Personality profiles (RIASEC)
- People with this profile prefer carrying out concrete tasks and being physically involved in what they do.
- People with this profile prefer relying on theoretical knowledge before acting. They like observation, analysis and problem solving.
- People with this profile prefer having responsibilities, influencing others and responding to challenges.
Appellation d'emploi liée (à traduire)
Logging machinery operators (CNP 8241)
Natural resources, agriculture and related production
This occupation is targeted by a Workplace Apprenticeship Program
Last update: July 4, 2022