Regulated Construction Trades

If you would like to practise a regulated trade in Québec’s construction industry, you need to obtain, depending on the trade you choose, a competency certificate from the Commission de la construction du Québec (CCQ) or a certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec.

Competency certificate from the CCQ

The CCQ ensures that workers in 25 construction trades and 6 construction occupations have the necessary skills to work in those areas. Trades require an apprenticeship process determined by regulation, but this is not the case for occupations, which correspond to construction activities related to construction trades.

Visit the CCQ’s website for more information on regulated trades and occupations This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec

You need a certificate of qualification issued by Emploi-Québec to practise certain construction trades not covered by the Act respecting labour relations, vocational training and workforce management in the construction industry. The trades are related to the following fields:

  • Electricity
  • Plumbing
  • Heating
  • Refrigeration and air conditioning
  • Elevator mechanics
  • Mechanical lifts

Repairs and maintenance requiring an Emploi-Québec certificate are normally carried out by permanent employees of a non-construction-industry employer: for example, a plumber employed by a hospital or an electrician who works in a factory.

A certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec is also required for single-family-home maintenance, repairs and renovations carried out for the owner-occupant.

A certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec is needed as well to practise trades in the construction sector that involve working with natural gas or propane, stationary engines or pressure vessels.

Having a contractor's licence or an owner-builder's licence issued by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec (RBQ) does not exempt you from the obligation to obtain a certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec for construction work.


Emploi-Québec may recognize as journeypersons individuals who hold a valid competency certificate issued by the CCQ for the following trades.

Qualification certificate issued by Emploi-Québec

  • Heating (CC)
  • Electricity (CÉ)
  • Elevator mechanics (MA) and elevating platform mechanics (MPFÉ)
  • Plumbing (CP)
  • Class 1 refrigeration systems (SF-1)
  • Pipe fitting (CT)

Competency certificate issued by the CCQ

  • Pipe fitter – heating systems installer specialty
  • Electrician
  • Elevator mechanic
  • Pipe fitter – plumber speciality
  • Refrigeration specialist
  • Pipe fitter – plumber specialty and heating systems installer specialty

If you have a valid journeyperson competency certificate, you do not need to obtain a certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec to work in sectors other than construction.

If you want to obtain a certificate of qualification, you have to submit an application to Emploi-Québec and pay the required fees.

Subject to certain conditions, the CCQ recognizes qualification certificates issued by Emploi-Québec.

You can apply for recognition of a qualification certificate by contacting the Centre administratif de la qualification professionnelle at 1-866-393-0067.