If you are a victim or witness of a homophobic or transphobic act, you can first talk to people who are likely to advise you or offer help.
Assistance and guidance
Interligne (previously known as Gai Écoute) is a free, confidential telephone hotline offering assistance and guidance. The organization also offers e-mail assistance, chat sessions and a list of on-line resources. It has set up the Alix platform , which can be used by victims or witnesses of homophobia to file an anonymous, confidential report on-line. Interligne has also established a telephone hotline offering legal assistance for gender and sexual diversity individuals.
Assistance and guidance (specific groups)
- Projet 10 – Projet 10 offers a telephone hotline, individual intervention sessions and discussion groups for LGBTQ people aged 14 to 25. www.p10.qc.ca
- AlterHéros – AlterHéros offers Internet-based assistance and support. Its website, Parles-en aux experts, helps demystify sexual orientation and gender identity. www.alterheros.com
- Centre de solidarité lesbienne – The Centre de solidarité lesbienne offers support groups for lesbians who have suffered domestic violence, workshops on health and lesbian realities, and a documentation centre. www.solidaritelesbienne.qc.ca
- Aide aux trans du Québec (ATQ) – ATQ provides counselling and assistance via telephone and e-mail, as well as support for transsexual individuals. www.atq1980.org
- Action santé travesti(e)s & transsexuel(le)s du Québec (ASTTeQ) – The goal of the ASTTeQ project is to promote the health and wellbeing of transsexual individuals through peer support and assistance. It offers confidential advisory services free of charge and organizes group meetings. www.astteq.org
Alliance arc-en-ciel de Québec
Alliance arc-en-ciel de Québec defends the individual and collective rights of sex and gender diversity individuals in the Québec City region through support, education, mobilization, cooperation and representation.
Coalition des familles LGBT
The Coalition lobbies for legal and social recognition for LGBT families, and offers social activities and workshops for LGBT individuals planning parenthood. The organization's main objective is to make youth and family workers more aware of homophobia and transphobia.
Conseil québécois LGBT
The Conseil québécois LGBT is the leading organization for the defence of LGBT rights in Québec. It speaks for the community and is the government's point of contact for questions concerning the wellbeing and living conditions of LGBT individuals.
Fondation Émergence implements information and awareness-raising campaigns to promote the wellbeing of LGBTQ individuals and their rights.
Réseau des lesbiennes du Québec
The Québec Lesbian Network defends lesbian rights and culture, speaking for and acting as the point of contact for political and social decision-makers concerning the life quality and living conditions of lesbians and the lesbian community.
Coalition d’aide à la diversité sexuelle de l’Abitibi-Témiscamingue
The Coalition provides awareness-raising and myth-busting services about homosexuality, mainly for young peoples aged 14 to 35 and their parents. Its website lists information and resources available in the Abitibi-Témiscamingue region.
Filing a complaint
Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse
The Commission’s mission is to promote and uphold the rights set out in the Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, the Youth Protection Act, and the Youth Criminal Justice Act. The Commission also oversees the application of the Act respecting equal access to employment in public bodies.
Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail
The CNESST has been given responsibility by the Québec government for promoting employment rights and obligations and ensuring compliance by workers and employers in Québec. For this purpose, it supports fair and balanced conditions of employment, ensures that pay equity is established and maintained, ensures that employers take responsibility for workplace health and safety, compensates industrial accident victims, and oversees victim rehabilitation.