Allowances and Adjustments

You may qualify for a temporarily limited capacity allowance or for additional amounts called "adjustments".

Change to the basic benefit

The basic benefit payable to last-resort financial assistance beneficiaries increased as of February 1, 2018. 

An amount is now added to the basic benefit each month. 

This amount is based on the makeup of your household and the program under which you receive assistance.

Temporarily limited capacity allowance

A temporarily limited capacity allowance is a form of financial assistance paid along with your basic benefit. 

If you do not have a severely limited capacity for employment, you could be eligible for a temporarily limited capacity allowance in the following cases: 

  • Due to your physical or mental condition, you are unable for a period of at least 1 month to carry out activities as part of a job preparation, job integration or job retention process.
  • You are at least 20 weeks pregnant.
  • You have a dependent child who was under age5 on last September 30 or, if he or she was 5 or over, there was no full-time kindergarten class available.
  • You care for a dependent child and receive a supplement for handicapped children from Retraite Québec for that child.
  • You are 58 or over.
  • You are living in a shelter for victims of violence.
  • You provide constant care to a person whose autonomy is significantly reduced due to a physical or mental condition and the person requires constant care.
  • You are an adult responsible for a family-type resource (foster home or foster family) recognized under the Act respecting health services and social services.
  • You are an adult responsible for a foster home under a service contract with the Ministère de la Sécurité publique and, as such, are responsible for a person required to live there. You must prove that the autonomy of at least 1 person under your care is reduced in order for you to be deemed to have a temporarily limited capacity for employment.

If both adults or one of the adults in a couple have a temporarily limited capacity for employment, the temporarily limited capacity allowance is added to the basic benefit. 

The amount of the assistance depends on the situation of each adult.

For example, one of the two adults may have a temporarily limited capacity while the other has no constraints.

Adjustments for dependent children

To meet your children’s basic needs, your family could qualify for additional sums, including adjustments for dependent children, in addition to your regular Social Assistance or Social Solidarity benefits.

A child is considered to be the parents’ dependant if he or she depends on them for his or her subsistence and meets one of the following requirements:

  • He or she is under 18 years of age and is not married or the parent of a dependent child.
  • He or she is 18 or over, attends an educational institution, is not married, does not have a spouse and is not the parent of a dependent child.

Adjustments for adult dependent children enrolled in secondary studies (general education stream)

September 1, 2019

As of this date, it will be possible to consider an adult child who is enrolled in secondary studies (general education stream) and is still dependent on parents who are receiving benefits under the Social Assistance Program or Social Solidarity Program or who are taking part in the Aim for Employment Program to be an independent adult.

Increase for independent adults

In addition to the basic amount, an independent adult can also receive an additional amount called the “increased amount for independent adults”.

You could be eligible for this increased amount if you do not have employment constraints and have been receiving benefits under the Social Assistance Program for at least 6 consecutive months.

Note that the following independent adults are not eligible:

  • Those who live in a subsidized dwelling (such as low-income housing (HLM) and coops)
  • Those required to live in a half-way house for the purposes of social re-integration
  • Those who are sheltered in a rehabilitation centre or a residential and long-term care centre (CHSLD), or taken in charge by a family-type or intermediate resource
  • Those staying in an addiction treatment centre with accommodation services and who are entitled to the special benefit for living expenses
  • Those who are the spouse of a student

The Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale will take into account any amounts paid by Revenu Québec under the Shelter Allowance Program when determining the increased amount for independent adults that can be granted.