How to apply
Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for last-resort financial assistance.
You could also be eligible for special benefits covering the cost of medication, optometric services, dental care and other specific needs.
Applying for social assistance
You must fill out the following 3 forms:
- Application for Service – General Information (3003A) (PDF, 316 KB)
- Appendix 1 – Information about Education and Employment (3003-1A) (PDF, 316 KB)
- Appendix 2 – Application for Last-Resort Financial Assistance (3003-02A) (PDF, 478 KB)
You can also call 1‑877‑767‑8773 (toll free) and ask to have them mailed to you.
If you have a spouse, you must both fill out and sign the forms.
For the purposes of the Social Assistance Program, the term “spouses” means:
- Two persons who are married or in a civil union with each other and who cohabit
- Two persons who cohabit and who are the parents of a same child
- Two persons of full age of the opposite or the same sex who live together in a de facto union and who, at any one time, cohabited for a period of at least 1 year.
Submitting your application for social assistance
Take the duly completed forms to your local employment centre . Be sure to bring 2 pieces of identification, one of which must be a photo ID.
You can also mail in your forms. However, you will have to report to the local employment centre in person after it receives them so that the staff can confirm your identity.
Processing of your application
A CLE employee may contact you while your application is being processed to request certain documents for clarification purposes.
Your application will be studied once you have provided all the necessary documents mentioned in Appendix 2.
If you are eligible for benefits, they will be calculated as of the day the local employment centre received your forms.
Decision on your application for social assistance
Within 5 business days of the date on which the CLE receives all the documents it needs to study your application, you will receive a notice of decision in the mail.
If your application has been accepted, the notice will indicate the amount to which you are entitled.
To obtain information about your file, you simply need your social insurance number and your telephone access code. This 5-digit code is indicated in the “Important” section of the document the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale sends you each month.
If your application has been refused, the notice will indicate why.
If you do not agree with the decision, you can file an Application for Review (PDF, 339 KB) .
Information on social assistance or your application for social assistance
Financial Assistance Questions
- Montréal area
- Elsewhere in Québec
1‑877‑767-8773 (toll free)
- Office hours and other ways to contact us