Rights, Recourse and Obligations
If you are receiving benefits under the social assistance or social solidarity programs, you have certain rights with respect to services delivered by the Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale.
In addition to having rights, you are obliged to fulfil various obligations. You must always notify us without delay of any change in your circumstances.
Neglecting your obligations could affect your eligibility for a program and the amount of financial assistance granted to you.
Your rights and recourse
If you are receiving social assistance or are currently in the process of applying, you have the right to:
- Receive information about programs that may apply in your situation
- Receive, upon request, help from staff at the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale with understanding its programs and applying for social assistance
- Consult your file and be accompanied and assisted by a person of your choice
- Receive 10 days' written notice if the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale is planning to reduce your benefits or cease payment because you failed to declare your real circumstances, so that you can submit your comments or any relevant documents
- Apply for the review of a decision rendered regarding your file
If you are receiving social assistance, you must:
- Provide all information and documents required to determine your eligibility for a program and calculate the financial assistance to which you are entitled
- Inform the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale as soon as there is any change in your family or financial circumstances (such as a birth, a separation, start of employment, etc.). See the Statement of Change page for more details
- Provide certain documents or clarifications to determine whether or not the parental contribution applies in your situation
- Repay any overpayment claimed from you and resulting, for example, from an inaccurate or incomplete statement
- Apply for the benefits provided by another government program or any other recourse available to you
- Refrain from disposing of any property or sum of money in order to receive a higher benefit.
If you fail to comply with your obligations, your benefits may be reduced or even cancelled.
The Ministère's obligations
The Ministère du Travail, de l'Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale must:
- Study your application
- Make a decision as quickly as possible
- Upon your request
- help you complete an Application for Review form (PDF, 331 KB)
- give you an opportunity to comment and make observations
- help you produce documents needed to complete your file
- Inform you as fully as possible of your rights and obligations under the Act and of the measures, programs and services available to you
For more information about your file or for general information, call 1‑877‑767‑8773 (toll free).
Financial Assistance Questions
- Montréal area
- Elsewhere in Québec
1‑877‑767-8773 (toll free)
- Office hours and other ways to contact us
- See the Payment Calendar (PDF, 533 KB) (French only) to find out when the next payments will be made.