Declaration of services
This is the declaration of services to citizens and businesses by the Ministère du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Solidarité sociale. This declaration presents the commitments that we intend to respect in our direct relations with you. It demonstrates the efforts made by the Ministère to improve, in an ongoing manner, the quality of the services offered throughout Québec.
Our principal services
Simplified access to public services
- Information on government programs and services
- Technical and scientific information about employment that can be of use to both employers and unions
- Government information in emergency situations.
- Access to online services offered by ministries and agencies of the government through the Québec.ca, My Québec Services Account and Zone entreprise
- The Service québécois de changement d’adresse, a one-step way to notify multiple government ministries and agencies of your change of address
- Administration-of-oath services
Services pertaining to the Québec civil status register, the entreprise register and other public registers
- Recording certain life events in the Québec civil status register (birth, marriage, civil union, death) and single application forms for declarations of birth, death, change of name and gender designation
- Issuing certificates, copies of acts and attestations of birth, marriage, civil union and death by the Directeur de l’état civil
- Consulting the Québec land register with regard to the reception, processing and billing of registration requisitions and requests for copies of documents
- Constituting legal persons under the laws of Québec, and registering businesses that conduct their activities in Québec, irrespective of legal form, in the enterprise register.
- Updating information about businesses constituted in Québec (or that conduct their activities there) that are in the enterprise register
- Handling disputes about information in the enterprise register and the use of business names
Labour relations services
- Preventing and settling labour conflicts
- Promoting exemplary practices in labour relations
- Conducting investigations when complaints are filed under certain labour laws.
- Conducting medical assessments under the Act respecting industrial accidents and occupational diseases
- Naming grievance and dispute arbitrators
- Issuing, amending and renewing workforce referral service permits
Employment, social solidarity and social inclusion services:
- Providing information on the labour market and placement services for Québec workers and employers
- Developing job skills and promoting employment
- Offering specialized services for the unemployed to facilitate their employment integration, and specialized services for employers with needs in human resources management
- Providing financial assistance to low-income individuals and families and those in particular problematic situations
- Providing support and assistance to those who need them to regain their personal, social and work autonomy
Québec Parental Insurance Plan
- Providing benefits to workers who take parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child
Support for community action and volunteering
- Facilitating access to governmental resources
- Providing financial support to community organizations
- Supporting the development of volunteering and giving
Our general commitments
To offer you high quality services, the Ministère and its staff intend to respect the following commitments:
Access to our services
- We offer you a variety of easy to access ways to obtain information, file an application or make a request.
- Our websites present up-to-date general information about our programs, measures and services; we also provide numerous online services.
- If you wish, you can speak with a member of our staff by telephone, toll free, from anywhere in Québec.
- We offer a vast network of service counters located throughout Québec.
- We strive to make our services more accessible to persons with a disability.
- We offer support and assistance to guide you in using our services.
Our communications with you:
- We answer you with respect and courtesy.
- We listen carefully to be certain that we understand your needs or your request.
- We use clear, easy to understand language in our written and verbal communications.
Handling your file or application
- We process your file or application quickly and carefully.
- We apply the laws and regulations in force in an equitable, impartial manner.
- We provide you with clear and accurate information.
- We inform you about steps to take and the processing time for your application.
- We explain the decision rendered on your file or application and inform you about available remedies.
Confidentiality and protection of your personal information
- We ensure the confidentiality and protection of your personal information in accordance with the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information.
Our commitments – Service time
Except in exceptional circumstances, we commit to meet the following time limits:
Responding to email
- We respond within 2 working days when you email one of our call centres.
Responding to telephone calls
- We answer within 3 minutes when you call one of our call centres.
- We call you back within 1 working day if you leave a message.
Reception at our service counters
- We receive you during business hours at our service counters, and let you know how long you will have to wait.
- We meet you at the scheduled time if you have an appointment with us.
Decisions on applications for social assistance or social solidarity benefits
- We render a decision within 5 working days after receiving the required documents.
Decisions on applications for Québec Parental Insurance Plan benefits
- We render a decision within 10 working days after receiving an application for benefits for which all the required documents have been received.
Decision on applications to the Directeur de l'état civil for a change of name or gender designation
- We render a decision within 90 working days after receiving the required documents.
Processing applications to the Directeur de l’état civil for a certificate or a copy of an act of birth, marriage, civil union or death
- We issue the certificate or copy of an act within 10 working days after receiving the required documents (normal processing), or within 3 working days with accelerated processing.
Processing applications related to starting a business
- We process online applications related to starting a business, incorporating a company or registering a business within 2 working days.
Processing requests to update information about a business
- We process your annual declaration or regular update, whether filed online or with your tax return, within 5 working days.
Processing requests for an investigation under anti-scab provisions
- We contact you on the same day when you request an investigation under anti-scab provisions.
Processing applications to issue, amend or renew a workforce referral service permit
- We process your application within 30 days.
If you are dissatisfied with one of our programs, measures or services, or with a decision concerning you, you can express your dissatisfaction to the person on our staff who handled your file or application. Most situations can be settled in this manner.
Other recourses are also available to you.
Filing a complaint
We invite you to contact the Direction des plaintes et des relations avec la clientèle. It ensures that complaints concerning the Ministère are given the attention they are due, and participates actively in seeking solutions to improve the quality of our services.
When you file a complaint:
- Within 2 working days after receiving your complaint, we confirm that it is being studied.
- We process your complaint within 20 working days.
Applying for review
The right to a review is prescribed in the Individual and Family Assistance Act and the Act respecting parental insurance. It allows you, if you are dissatisfied with a decision by the Ministère, to have the decision reviewed. To apply for a review, you must do so in writing and within the period prescribed. A form is provided for that purpose, which you can obtain through our website or by contacting us.
Applying for administrative reconsideration
The administrative reconsideration process allows you to apply for reconsideration of a decision regarding a program, measure or service for which there is no appeal under the Individual and Family Assistance Act. To learn more on this subject, we invite you to consult our website or to contact us.
Monitoring our commitments
The Ministère will conduct a regular review of how well we are doing in meeting the commitments set out in this declaration of services. The results will be made public in its annual management report.
We count on you to:
- Be part of maintaining respectful, courteous relations
- Provide complete and accurate information when you make an application or request
- Provide requested documents within the period required
- Inform us as quickly as possible of any change in your situation
- Give us feedback on the quality of our services
Last update: February 28, 2019