You can contact the Citizen relations coordinator if you have a complaint in respect to any act done by the Ministry of public security. You can also make a request relative to the ministry’s mission.
The treatment of your complaint or your request will be made in accordance with the Directive on the treatment of complaints and requests from citizens.
Topics of complaints and requests
Your complaint may concern any event, any situation, any act or omission related to the programs and services offered by the Ministry and its staff. In addition, you can also report any incident, any omission or any other element relative to the ministry's mission.
If you have a disability, you can file a complaint about the measures implemented by the Ministry to give you access to services or information in accordance with the Action plan (in French) (PDF 1.35 Mb) regarding persons with disabilities.
However, the Ministry can't accept complaints or requests regarding the following cases:
- A complaint about the duties and standards of conduct of police officers, wildlife protection officers, special constables, highway controllers and UPAC investigators. The examination of this complaint is within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Commissaire à la déontologie policière ;
- A decision made following a request filed under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the protection of personal information. The review of this decision is within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Commission d'accès à l'information ;
- A complaint filed by a person under the responsibility of the Quebec Correctional Services. Your complaint must be filed to the appropriate detention facility or probation office.
- A complaint concerning a service provided by an organization under the authority of the Minister or by the Sûreté du Québec (in French). Your complaint must be addressed to that organization.
- A decision made by a court.
How to file a complaint
You may file a complaint by phone or in writing to the following:
Citizen relations coordinator
Ministère de la Sécurité publique
2525, boulevard Laurier, 10e étage
Tour des Laurentides
Québec (Québec) G1V 2L2
In order to facilitate the processing of your request, you must provide, if applicable:
- complete description of the event;
- date of the event;
- name of the people involved;
- steps that you have already taken to resolve this issue, including date, name of the people and organizations that you have contacted;
- copy of all relevant documents;
- complete contact information to reach you.
Accordingly to the Service Statement to Citizens, we will send you an acknowledgment within 3 working days. You will get a written, clear and precise response within 20 working days. If this deadline can not be met, we will notify you and a new time limit will be indicated.
Last update: May 24, 2019