Mission and mandates
The Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux’s mission is to maintain, improve and restore the health and well-being of Quebecers by providing access to a range of quality and integrated health and social services, thereby contributing to the social and economic development of Québec.
According to this mission, the MSSS’s chief role is to ensure the proper functioning of Québec’s health and social services system. With a view to improving population health and well-being, the MSSS:
- sets priorities, objectives and policy directions in the health and social services field and ensures their application;
- performs national public health functions;
- ensures the interregional coordination of services;
- ensures that mechanisms to coordinate services between institutions are operational;
- ensures the equitable distribution of financial, human and material resources and monitors their use;
- evaluates the results obtained against the objectives set;
- proposes priorities for intervention to the State and other social actors in order to positively influence conditions that promote population health and well-being.
Since November 2018, the Secrétariat aux aînés has been under the authority of the Minister Responsible for Seniors and Informal Caregivers. Its mission is the promote the active aging of Québec’s society. It plans, advises, coordinates and supports policies or measures aimed at:
- fighting prejudice;
- promoting participation;
- ensuring the health and safety of seniors;
- from a perspective of intergenerational equity and respect for diversity.
The health and social services network
The MSSS fulfils its mission by sharing its responsibilities with health and social services institutions in 18 health regions, which are subdivided into 22 territorial services networks (réseaux territoriaux de services – RTS) and 93 local services networks (réseaux locaux de services – RLS).
For more information about how the health and social services system is organized, see the section Health and Social Services System in Brief (in French only).
Last update: February 14, 2020