Role and mandate
The Comité provincial pour la prestation des services de santé et des services sociaux aux personnes issues des communautés ethnoculturelles was created pursuant to section 433.1 of the Act respecting health services and social services.
The Committee’s mandate is to advise the Minister of Health and Social Services on the accessibility and provision of health and social services to people from ethnocultural communities in Québec. Committee members may:
- hold consultations;
- solicit opinions;
- receive and hear requests from individuals, organizations or associations.
The Committee is composed of 11 members appointed by the Minister to represent Québec’s different ethnocultural communities.
Members sit on the Committee in a personal capacity. To prevent any conflicts of interest, they in no way represent an organization or a social or political group.
The term of office of members is three years and can be renewed only once.
A member of staff of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux is also appointed by the Minister to act as secretary of the Committee.
Selection of candidates
The selection process includes a general call for nominations. Then, in order to appoint members, the Minister establishes a selection committee. The committee recommends candidates for the positions to be filled. The recommendations must take into account:
- the comprehension and knowledge of the candidates regarding the issues facing ethnocultural communities with respect to the provision of health and social services;
- the organization of the health and social services network and its governance;
- ethnocultural composition;
- representation of the different regions of Québec.
The Committee is composed of the following members:
- Madame Elfi Esther Aldana Perez (Laval);
- Madame Laura Anson Pérez (Estrie);
- Monsieur Rocco Famiglietti (Montréal) – Vice-president;
- Madame Isabelle Hemlin (Montréal);
- Madame Phuong Hua (Laval);
- Monsieur Thierry Kininga (Chaudières-Appalaches);
- Monsieur Yvan Leanza (Québec);
- Madame Amina Mezdour (Estrie);
- Madame Manuela Pedroso (Montréal);
- Madame Olga Tsegelnyk (Laurentides);
- Madame Bilkis Vissandjee (Montréal) – President.
Contact information for the secretary
Ms. Émilie Mogno
Advisor to the Secrétariat à l’accès aux services en langue anglaise et aux communautés ethnoculturelles and Secretary of the Comité provincial pour la prestation des services de santé et des services sociaux aux personnes issues des communautés ethnoculturelles
2021, Avenue Union, 12th floor – Suite 12.31
Montréal (Québec) H3A 2S9
Telephone: 514 873-2109
Last update: May 18, 2021