Role and mandate
Section 509 of the Act respecting health services and social services provides for the formation of a Provincial Committee for the Provision of Health Services and Social Services in the English Language. The Committee is created by regulation and its mandate is to advise the Government of Québec on:
- the provision of health and social services in the English language;
- the approval, evaluation and modification by the Government of each access program developed by an institution in accordance with section 348 of the Act.
The Act to modify the organization and governance of the health and social services network, in particular by abolishing the regional agencies adds two responsibilities to the Committee’s mandate:
- the approval of requests made by integrated health and social services centres for withdrawal of recognition, as provided for in the third paragraph of section 29.1 of the Charter of the French Language;
- the identification of organizations that promote the interests of English speakers in each region. These organizations will be consulted regarding the appointment of members of regional committees for access programs for health and social services in the English language.
The Provincial Committee for the Provision of Health Services and Social Services in the English Language is composed of 11 members appointed to represent all of the English-speaking population:
- four members residing within the Montréal or Laval health region, including at least three who reside in the territory of the Montréal health region;
- one member residing within the Montérégie health region;
- one member residing within the Estrie health region;
- one member residing within the Outaouais health region;
- four members residing within the other health regions of Québec.
The term of office of members is three years and can be renewed only once. Members sit on the Committee in a personal capacity. To prevent any conflicts of interest, they in no way represent an organization or a social or political group. A member of staff of the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux is also appointed by the Minister to act as secretary of the Committee.
The Committee is composed of the following members:
- Ms. Sara Saber-Freedman – Chair (Montréal);
- Ms. Ella Amir (Montréal);
- Mr. Terry Kaufman (Montréal);
- Mr. David Morris (Montréal);
- Ms. Bonnie Jean Mitchell (Montérégie);
- Mr. Donald Warnholtz – Vice-chair (Estrie);
- Ms. Sheilagh Murphy (Outaouais);
- Ms. Jennifer Hobbs Robert (Québec);
- Ms. Eileen Schofield (Côte-Nord);
- Ms. Cathy Brown (Gaspésie);
- Ms. Carolynn Roberts (Laurentides).
Contact information for the Committee secretary
Ms. Manon Boily is the secretary of the Committee. To reach the secretary, contact:
Ms. Ange Beaulieu
Advisor, Secrétariat à l’accès aux services en langue anglaise et aux communautés ethnoculturelles
2021, Avenue Union, Suite 12.30 (12th floor)
Montreal (Quebec) H3A 2S9
Telephone: 514 873-2292
Last update: November 4, 2019