Regulation of cannabis in Québec
The Government of Québec took note when the federal government, following through on it stated intention, tabled a bill to legalize cannabis on April 13, 2017. The Act to constitute the Société québécoise du cannabis, to enact the Cannabis Regulation Act and to amend various highway safety-related provisions was passed in June 2018. The possession and use of cannabis does remain illegal in Québec until the act takes effect.
Please see encadrementcannabis.gouv.qc.ca to learn more.
When drinking or using drugs affects different aspects of a person’s life, it is likely that he or she has a consumption disorder or an addiction. Here are examples of behaviour to help you see the problem:
- The person limits social and professional engagements or important leisure activities or completely abandons everything due to his or her consumption
- He or she takes risks such as having unprotected sex, driving or playing sports while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- The person experiences difficulty with family and romantic relationships, as well as friendships
- He or she needs to consume more and more alcohol or drugs to experience the same effect
- The person spends a lot of time trying to get alcohol or drugs, consuming them and then recovering from their effects
- The person consumes more than he or she intended and over a longer period than intended.
- The person continues to drink or use drugs despite physical or psychological issues likely caused or aggravated by this use
- Despite the willingness and effort, he or she has a hard time consuming less or setting limits
To learn more about alcohol or drug addiction, read Problems Associated with Alcohol Consumption and Drug Use.
Help and Resources
If you see yourself in these examples or are worried about a friend or family member, help and information are available. Consult the following resources:
- Your integrated health and social services centre (CISSS) or your integrated university health and social services centre (CIUSSS). To find contact information, go to Finding a Resource.
- Drugs: Help and Referral : 1 800 265‑2626
- Répertoire des ressources en dépendances (directory of addiction resources – in French only)
- Programme Alcochoix+
Last update: 13 September 2017, 09:45