Changes to breast cancer screening services
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, changes to breast cancer screening services have been put in place to reduce the risk of contamination for the public and for health professionals.
All breast cancer screening and follow-up tests have been postponed until further notice.
- If you recently had a screening mammogram under the Québec Breast Cancer Screening Program (PQDCS), you will receive your result letter as planned.
- If you need an additional examination (for example, a mammogram, an ultrasound or a biopsy), your situation is assessed by a health professional. The most urgent tests are maintained, while other tests are postponed, depending on each woman’s situation. If possible, some of these tests may be transferred to a private clinic to reduce congestion in hospitals.
- If your appointment for a test is maintained, your designated screening centre will contact you. Screening centres are taking the necessary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Thank you for your cooperation. It is important.
For additional information, contact the Regional Service Coordination Centre in your region.
Even though screening tests have been postponed, if you notice any of the following breast changes, please contact a health professional (a doctor or a specialized nurse practitioner) immediately:
- a lump (mass) in the breast;
- the skin on a breast is pulled inward (retraction);
- the skin on a breast looks like orange peel;
- the skin over one third or more of a breast becomes red;
- fluid suddenly comes out of the nipple;
- the nipple is retracted (the nipple looks like it is pulled inward;
- the skin on the nipple looks or feels different (for example, it may look like eczema but does not get better).
At this time, the Gouvernement du Québec is working on a plan for gradually and safely resuming Québec Breast Cancer Screening Program activities
Mammograms given at the program’s Designated Screening Centers (CDD) are free of charge for all women insured under Québec’s public health insurance plan.