Register to find a family doctor
To find a family doctor who is accepting new patients, you can put your name on the waiting list:
- online, by using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF);
- by telephone, by contacting your territory waiting list (GACO) .
If you need to see a doctor immediately, consult the Finding a Resource Offering Medical Consultation On The Same or Next Day page.
Once you have put your name on the waiting list, your request will be evaluated and priority assigned based on your health. It is impossible to determine exactly how long you will be on the waiting list. The waiting time can vary depending on the availability of doctors in your region and the number of people on the waiting list for your territory.
So that you can be reached easily once you have been assigned a doctor, it is important to keep your contact information up to date (change of address, new telephone number, etc.). If you cannot be reached, you may receive a letter telling you that your request has been suspended until your contact information is updated, in particular your telephone number.
To put your name on the waiting list to find a family doctor using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF), you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You must have a valid health insurance card.
- You must not already be registered with a family doctor. However, if your doctor can no longer see you or if you wish to change doctors, see the Registering with a Family Doctor section.
- You must live at the address indicated in your file at the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ). If you do not live at that address, you can change of address .
- You must be 14 years of age or over. If you are under 14 years of age, someone else who is 14 years of age or over must put your name on the waiting list on your behalf.
- You must live in Québec and your postal code must be listed by Canada Post.
- Doctors in the Nunavik and Cree Territory of James Bay regions cannot register patients. If you live in these regions, you must contact your health centre:
- Nunavik: 819 964-2905
- Cree Territory of James Bay: 819 855-2744
Finding a Family Doctor Yourself
You can also find a family doctor on your own. You can contact medical clinics or family medicine groups (FMGs) located near you to see if they are accepting new patients. You will find their contact information in the Finding a Resource section.
Updating a Registration on the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF) or Territory Waiting List (GACO)
It is important to update your contact information so that you can be reached easily once a doctor has been assigned to you. If you would like to update your registration or change your contact information, you can make the changes directly using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF) .
Your registration will be updated and your priority on the waiting list will not be affected. If you would like to report a change in your health, you can also do so directly using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF). You may also request, directly using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF), an evaluation of your health by a nurse if this service is offered by your territory waiting list (GACO). The nurse will update the priority assigned to your registration based on your health.
You can also update your registration by telephone by contacting your territory waiting list (GACO) .
Registering with a Family Doctor
Once you have found a family doctor or have been assigned one, you must register with him or her by completing a registration form.
Registering with a doctor is voluntary and free. However, your registration may be terminated in some situations:
- If you register with another doctor.
- If your doctor can no longer provide you with medical follow-up, for instance if he or she leaves his or her place of practice or retires. To request another doctor, you can contact your territory waiting list (GACO) . You will keep your current family doctor while waiting for a new one.
- If you have a good reason to want to change family doctor, for instance if you move or if you can no longer get to your current clinic. You can contact your territory waiting list (GACO) in order to request another doctor. You will keep your current family doctor while waiting for a new one.
In other situations, you might not be able to request a new doctor while still keeping your current one.
In this case, you will have to terminate your registration with your current doctor. By terminating your registration, you might no longer have access to this doctor’s services. You might also lose access to services offered by the clinic you normally go to.
To terminate your registration with your current doctor, you will have to contact the RAMQ . You will then be able to put your name on the waiting list by using the Québec Family Doctor Finder (GAMF) or by telephone by contacting your territory waiting list (GACO) .
Last update: 13 October 2017, 13:45