To join the program, you must submit a written assessment request to your region’s designated institution. If you have questions about the eligibility criteria, you can call or email that institution.
- The Mobility Assistance Dog Reimbursement Program assessment request form (in French only). Please provide the following information in the appropriate sections of the form:
- Proof of your permanent physical disability, completed by a physician (Annex 1 of the form). You can also provide any other equivalent medical certificate already included in your medical record. You will need to provide this certificate only with your first application to the program;
- Authorization to disclose information to relevant persons and organizations, including the training school (“consent” section in part 5 of the form).
- A copy of the dog’s laminated ID card with photo
- An up-to-date copy of the dog’s vaccination certificate
Send these documents by mail to the institution that corresponds with where you live:
Institut de réadaptation en déficience physique de Québec
Institut de réadaptation Gingras-Lindsay-de-Montréal
Upon receipt of your application form, the designated institution will contact you. A qualified resource person will evaluate your eligibility and that of your dog.
The regional authorization committee will examine the results of your assessment and inform you of its decision in writing.
- If you are entitled to a reimbursement, it will be retroactive. This means that you will be reimbursed from the date upon which the designated institution for your region received your documents.
An annual follow-up will be conducted by a qualified resource person to ensure that program eligibility rules are being respected.
- If you are not entitled to a reimbursement, you can be assessed again after correcting the issues identified in your first assessment or if your situation has changed. The regional authorization committee will receive and examine the results of your reassessment.
You may only request a new evaluation once every 2 years for the same dog.
The institution will reimburse you in 2 instalments each year.
Once you receive the second payment, you must solemnly declare, by signing an attestation from the institution, that you continue to need your mobility assistance dog for one of the following functions acknowledged as necessary:
- To fetch items
- To change positions
- To help you get around in your manual wheelchair
- To help you walk
If you no longer use your dog for these reasons, your reimbursements will cease.
Tax Credit for Medical Expenses
Mobility assistance dog costs are eligible for non-refundable tax credit for medical expenses. In your tax return, you must subtract the reimbursement amount received from the total expenses you actually paid.
Last update: 25 July 2017, 13:12