Collective sponsorship of a refugee who is abroad
Conditions for groups of 2 to 5 people
You must comply with all the conditions required. Otherwise, you could receive an adverse decision upon review of your application:
You and the other members of your group make a solidary undertaking. Each member is jointly responsible with the other members, who request to be part of the same undertaking.
Conditions to be honoured by each member of your group
Each member of your group must:
- Have Canadian citizenship or permanent residence. Your Canadian citizenship must not be in process of cancellation;
- Reside in Québec;
- Be 18 years and older:
Each member of your group must also honour the following conditions:
- Have honoured their financial obligations
- Each member of your group, if that member has already made an undertaking or undertakings concerning refugees or members of their family, must have honoured their financial obligations or, if applicable, have repaid to the Gouvernement du Québec or the government of another province any sum that was disbursed to them as last resort financial assistance (social assistance or financial assistance as part of a program from the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI)).
- Have the required financial capacity
- Each member of your group, and the group as a whole, must demonstrate that they have the financial capacity to honour the undertaking.
- Not have been the object of a deportation measure or be in detention
- No member of your group must be the object of a Government of Canada deportation measure or be detained in a penitentiary or a prison.
- Not have committed a crime
- No member of your group shall have been convicted, in Canada or abroad, of murder or an offence provided for in Schedule I or II of the Corrections and Conditional Release Act .
- If this is the case, the person must have been acquitted, rehabilitated (suspension of criminal record) or have served their sentence for at least 5 years prior to submitting the application.
- Have made support payments
- If a member of your group is paying support after an official judgment, such members must have honoured their obligations over the past 5 years. Otherwise, they must have repaid any amount owed.
- Not receive last resort financial assistance (social assistance)
- No member of your group shall receive last resort financial assistance, except if this assistance is given due to their age or disability, which creates barriers to their employment that are severe, permanent or for an indefinite term.
Last update: February 23, 2023