Persons you sponsor and their accompanying family members will have to be supported in their settlement and social and occupational integration approaches in Québec.
As guarantor, you have made undertakings in this regard and have an important role to play. For example, you must:
- inform them about Québec society and culture
- guide them to the resources accessible to them, particularly in francization
- support them in their settlement and integration approaches
Preparing for arrival in Québec
You must help the person you are sponsoring to prepare for arrival in Québec. It is important to make the person aware of the challenges to meet with your help.
If the person you sponsor has Internet access, you may indicate some websites you find particularly interesting and send the person documentation on Québec.
The person may consult the guide Settle and integrate in Québec, which contains information and advice to facilitate settlement and successful integration in Québec.
You are responsible for greeting the person you are sponsoring at the airport.
Make the necessary arrangements to be present at the airport when the person arrives.
Here are some steps the persons you sponsor may undertake once they obtain their Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ - Québec Selection Certificate):
- Improve their French by taking French courses offered by the Gouvernement du Québec;
- Register with the integration service for immigrants Accompagnement Québec.
- Register for the Objectif Intégration services session (only in French), if they speak French or after learning it.
- Register for an information session on First settlement steps ;
- Find partner organizations of the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et l’Intégration in the region, who can support them in their settlement and integration.
- Take steps to obtain a job by using the services offered by the Centre local d’emploi (CLE) in your territory. You must enter the postal code and check off Services aux individus.
- Begin the steps to obtain recognition of their competencies acquired abroad .
Obtaining health insurance
If the application for permanent residence of the persons you sponsor is processed on site, they may obtain a health insurance card from the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) by presenting:
their Certificat de sélection du Québec (Québec Selection Certificate - CSQ)
The letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada confirming that their application for permanent residence is processed on site.
Last update: April 20, 2022