You can negotiate with the plaintiff to reach an out-of-court settlement.

The settlement may be a financial settlement to the dispute or an arrangement of another kind (for example, involving the performance of work or the return of property).

For a financial settlement, you can ask the clerk to homologate the transaction. 

Once homologated, your agreement has the effect of a court judgment. If one party fails to comply with the agreement, execution measures may be applied (such as seizure). 

For other types of arrangement, you must provide the details. If one party fails to respect the arrangement, a court hearing may be held at the request of the other party.

Last update: September 9, 2021


Was the information on this page useful to you?

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec

Help us improve Qué