QUÉBEC CITY, Nov. 24, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - The Government of Quebec is pleased to announce the creation of the Secretariat for relations with English-speaking Quebecers that will report directly to the ministère du Conseil exécutif. It will be responsible for ensuring that the concerns of English-Speaking Quebecers are taken into account in government orientations and decisions in collaboration with government ministries and bodies.
The Minister responsible for Access to Information and the Reform of Democratic Institutions and Minister responsible for Relations with English-Speaking Quebecers, Kathleen Weil, made the announcement at a press conference that was held at the Morrin Centre.
The Secretariat will work in close collaboration with the government ministries and bodies that provide direct services to the population and with organizations that represent the English-speaking community.
In preparation for public consultations to take place in the coming months, the minister has begun a province-wide tour to meet stakeholders to better appreciate the diverse realities and preoccupations of the community.
"The Secretariat for relations with English-speaking Quebecers will act as a link between the government and the English-speaking community throughout Québec. It will act as a facilitator to enable the government to better serve the community. The creation of the Secretariat is a historic gesture of which I am very proud."
Kathleen Weil, Minister responsible for Access to Information and the Reform of Democratic Institutions and Minister responsible for Relations with English-Speaking Quebecers
In addition to the responsibilities of various government ministries and bodies towards English-speaking Quebecers, the Secretariat for relations with English-speaking Quebecers has a mandate to:
- Ensure liaisons with sectoral, regional and provincial groups that represent English‑speaking Quebecers.
- Ensure that the concerns of English-speaking Quebecers are taken into consideration in the development of government policy direction and decisions, and in matters of access to government programmes and their application in conjunction with the concerned ministries and agencies.
- Make available relevant statistics to document issues facing English-speaking Quebecers.
- Interact with the federal government on issues, agreements, programs or policies that may have a direct or indirect impact on English-speaking Quebecers in collaboration with the Secrétariat du Québec aux relations canadiennes and other ministries and bodies concerned.
- Advise the government, ministries and bodies on relations with English-speaking Quebecers regarding the provision of services and issues, agreements, programs and policies that may have a direct or indirect impact on the community.
- Policy on Québec Affirmation and Canadian Relations: Quebecers, our Way of Being Canadian Re: Section 2.2: Today's Québec, subtitle: Diversity and Coexistence in Québec, pp. 57-65. https://www.sqrc.gouv.qc.ca/relations-canadiennes/politique-affirmation/index-en.asp
- Secretariat for relations with English-speaking Quebecers, www.mce.gouv.qc.ca/secretariats/srqea-en
View original content: http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/November2017/24/c7102.html