Power outages usually don't last long. However, a power outage that lasts several hours can cause risks to your health and safety.

What to do before

Prepare an emergency kit. This hyperlink will open in a new window.

Prepare a family safety plan This hyperlink will open in a new window..

Keep the following in a location you can easily access:

  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Battery-operated radio
  • Candles
  • Fondue burner and recommended fuel
  • Lighter or matches
  • Warm blanket

If you have a wood-burning stove or fireplace, be sure to keep a supply of wood.   

If you have a non-electric heating system, have it inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician once a year.

If you have a backup heating system, ensure that it meets safety standards and that it is installed in accordance with manufacturer instructions and the rules in force.

Install a carbon monoxide detector This hyperlink will open in a new window. if you plan on using a combustion heating system (for example, a gas-fuelled heater or a wood fireplace). Check it regularly to make sure it works properly.

Know how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning and recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If your life or that of a relative depends on a life-support apparatus that requires electricity, have an emergency power source available at all times.

What to do during

Keep informed with a mobile device that has access to the Internet or use a battery-operated radio.

Disconnect all your electric appliances and electronics, except the refrigerator and freezer. Leave a light on on each floor. Lower the thermostats to avoid overloading the system when power is restored.

Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible to ensure that your food lasts longer.

Offer help to family, neighbours or colleagues who may need special assistance.

Be careful of carbon monoxide

Never use devices designed for outdoor use (e.g., charcoal or gas barbecues and camping equipment). These devices can cause poisoning from carbon monoxide, an invisible and odourless gas. Breathing carbon monoxide can be dangerous for one’s health and even cause death.

Only a carbon monoxide detector This hyperlink will open in a new window. can detect the presence of this gas and warn you. If your detector sounds a warning, leave the building immediately. Dial 911. Wait for the authorization of a firefighter before returning indoors, even for a few minutes.

Prolonged power outage

Leave your home if it is too cold. If you don't know where to go, contact your municipality to find out about temporary shelters. For more details, consult the page Evacuation This hyperlink will open in a new window. in the event of a disaster.

Before leaving, pack essential items for all member of your family:

  • Medications
  • Personal hygiene items
  • Extra clothes
  • Blankets
  • Money
  • Identification documents
  • Car and house keys
  • Milk, bottles and diapers for infants
  • Electronic devices and accessories for connecting them
  • Items for the wellbeing of family members with special needs 

See that domestic animals are safe or bring them to a service centre for people in a disaster if that is allowed.

Turn off the main power breaker and make sure your backup heating system is turned off.

In winter

If you are remaining in your home, watch for symptoms of hypothermia.

Close the main water valve and drain the pipes. Put antifreeze in toilet tanks and bowls, and in all the sink drains.

Avoid leaving any containers inside that could burst when frozen.

What to do after

You may return to your home when officials have given their permission and it is safe to do so. Return home during the day when it is easier to see problems and hazards. Visit the government’s reintegration This hyperlink will open in a new window. page for important advice and safety recommendations.

Make sure that the water heater is full before turning on the power.

Turn on the main power switch breaker.

Open the main water valve and taps to release any air in the pipes.

Do not turn on the gas yourself. Have it turned on by a specialist.

If the power has been off more than six hours, check the quality of food before eating it. Throw out any food with signs of deterioration. Consult Panne de courant et alimentation - quoi garder et quoi jeter This hyperlink will open in a new window. (French only) for information on deciding what to keep and what to throw out from your refrigerator and your freezer.

Do not take any medication that had to be kept refrigerated but that you weren't able to keep cold. Return it to the pharmacy.

Pay attention to stress reactions after an emergency situation:

  • Anxiety
  • Apathy or loss of energy
  • Aggressiveness
  • Increased alcohol or drug use

Appropriate psychological guidance can help you cope with responsibilities stemming from the situation. Contact Info-Santé at 811 and select Info-Social to speak with a social worker. This confidential service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.