Types of fishing and bait
Specific methods for certain species
Fishing for rainbow smelt
In zone 21 (St. Lawrence River)
These methods are prohibited at the following locations:
- In the waters of the îles de la Madeleine and in the rivière Ouelle, between the downstream side of the route 132 bridge and a straight line linking the point of rivière Ouelle and the mouth of ruisseau Gagnon;
- In ruisseau de l’Église, in the municipality of Beaumont;
- In the waters of zone 21 where the daily catch limit is 60 rainbow smelt and which are described among the exceptions for zone 21;
- In rivière Saguenay, between a line perpendicular to the current running from the upstream side of the split (48° 26’ 23’’ N., 70° 54’ 08’’ W.) located near the municipality of Saint‑Fulgence, and the downstream side of the Dubuc bridge in Saguenay.
In some bodies of water in zones 1, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 15
- from May 1st to May 31, in rivière Bonaventure, between the downstream side of the former route 132 bridges and the rapide Malin;
- from April 1st to May 31, in zones 9 and 15, except for the waters of lac Archambault, including bays and tributaries, and lac Tire (zone 9);
- from April 1st to May 15, in the waters of zones 4, 5 and 6. These methods are prohibited at the following sites:
- Zone 4 — rivière Ashberham (Noire), from Petit lac Saint‑François to Grand lac Saint‑François; rivière Coulombe, from the route 161 bridge to its mouth in lac Aylmer, including the small bay facing its mouth; rivière aux Bluets, rivière aux Indiens, rivière de l’Or and rivière aux Rats Musqués, from Grand lac Saint‑François to the second bridge upstream from the lake; rivière Saint‑François, from Grand lac Saint‑François to lac Aylmer; rivière Victoria and its tributaries; lac Mégantic and lac Elgin and their tributaries;
- Zone 5 — ruisseaux Castle and Perkins, from their source to lac Memphrémagog;
- Zone 6 — rivière Magog, from the Dominion Textile dam in Magog to the highway 55 bridge; rivière Massawippi, the part between the dam located 1.6 km from lac Massawippi and the first curve downstream; rivière Niger, from its mouth to route 143; ruisseau Taylor (tributary of lac Memphrémagog); lac Memphrémagog, lac Massawippi and its tributaries; and ruisseau Castle.
In some bodies of water in zones 10, 11 and 28
- from May 1st to May 31, in lac des Écorces (zone 10) and lac Chaud (zone 11) and in their tributaries;
- from April 15 to May 20, in rivière aux Rats, between lac aux Rats and latitude 49° 30’ N. (zone 28);
- in a portion of a salmon river where smelt fishing is authorized, this species may be fished at night:
- from December 1st, 2019 to April 23, 2020;
- from December 1st, 2020 to April 22, 2021;
- from December 1st, 2021 to April 21, 2022.
The possession limit for rainbow smelt may not be the same as the zone’s daily quota. Where this is the case, the relevant information will appear on the interactive map .
Fishing for whitefish
Rivière Touladi (zone 2)
The sector located between the downstream side of ruisseau à Mac and lac Témiscouata.
Periods: October 15 to October 28
Quota: 50 whitefish per day
Rivière Saint-François (zone 4)
The sector located between lac Aylmer and the second bridge upstream.
Period: October 25 to November 7
Quotas: 10 whitefish per day
Fishing for burbot in Lac Saint-Jean
Specific conditions apply to burbot fishing in the waters of lac Saint‑Jean encircled by routes 169, 170 and 373, excluding the portions of La Grande Décharge (downstream of the Maligne dam and the lac Saint‑Jean water retention structures) and rivière Petite Décharge (the portion situated between its mouth in the Saguenay and the lac Saint‑Jean water retention structures).
At this specific location, you may, if you have a burbot fishing licence, fish:
- from December 20 to March 31, with no catch limit;
- using two night lines with no more than 10 fishhooks each, lying continuously on the bottom. In addition, each night line must be identified with one of the tags issued with your licence, affixed to the identification marker.
Fishing for striped bass
In waters where permitted, anglers may fish for striped bass with a single hook only, without natural bait, for a maximum of 3 hooks on the line.
Fishing for American eel
The use of spears or harpoons while not swimming is permitted year-round to fish for American eel in the waters of the îles de la Madeleine.
Mollusks and crustaceans
Fishing for freshwater mollusks, except for zebra mussels and quagga mussels, is prohibited. Fishing for freshwater crustaceans is permitted by hand, using a landing net, a baittrap, a lift net or other common means, with no catch limit, during the fishing periods stipulated for “Other Species”, except in zones 17 and 22 to 24, where only line fishing (angling) is permitted for all species.
Last update: November 16, 2021
The information published on this website has been simplified and provides a summary of the main regulatory provisions. It does not replace the official texts of the laws and regulations. For more detailed information on a specific rule, please refer to the Québec Fishery Regulations or the Regulation respecting fishing licences .