1. Home  
  2. Health  
  3. Health system and services  
  4. Assistive Devices, Disabilities and Handicaps  
  5. Adapted Tricycles and Bicycles Program

Adapted Tricycles and Bicycles Program


This program allows for the allocation of tricycles and bicycles suitable for people age 18 and under with disabilities.

Presentation and objectives

Allocating tricycles and bicycles adapted to minors with disabilities helps promote their social integration, skills development, and autonomy.

Before allocating an adapted tricycle or modifying a tricycle or a bicycle, an overall assessment of the person’s needs and resources must be carried out.

An adapted tricycle or bicycle is a device specially designed to meet the needs of the user.


To be eligible for this program, you must:

  • Have a physical or intellectual impairments causing persistent and significant disabilities;
  • Be a minor;
  • Be unable to use a standard tricycle or bicycle;
  • Be able to pedal and steer the adapted tricycle or bicycle on your own.

You are not eligible if you:

  • Already benefit from the same type of assistance provided by another national or federal program or a program offered by private insurers;
  • Live in a residential long-term care centre or a public intermediate resource.

Reimbursable expenses

Technical assistance funded under this program is provided to the user. However, a lump sum of $150 must be paid by the parent for the purchase of a tricycle, an adapted bike, or a handbike. For individuals with private insurance coverage, this program can be used to pay the uncovered portion of the costs.

Allocated equipment must be insured. It must be returned when the person is no longer using it or if he or she dies.


To enrol in this program, contact your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (CIUSSS). For contact information, consult the following page: Finding Your Integrated Health and Social Services Centre (CISSS) or Your Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre This hyperlink will open in a new window..

You will need to provide a medical certificate relating to the impairment.

Help and information

Last update: May 9, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec