Obtaining Reimbursement for French Courses Taken Abroad

The Gouvernement du Québec may reimburse the cost of the French courses taken in your country, under certain conditions. The maximum reimbursement granted is CAN $1,800.

You must prepare your application for reimbursement in your country of origin, but you will file it officially when you live in Québec.

Conditions for obtaining reimbursement

You can apply for reimbursement for more than 1 course. To be reimbursed, you must meet all of the following conditions for each course:

  • You took your French course in a language school that is a partner of the Gouvernement du Québec.
  • You finished the entire course.
  • You started your course during the 2 years prior to obtaining your Québec Selection Certificate (CSQ) or your Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ), or between the time you obtained your CSQ or your CAQ and your arrival in Québec.
  • You were at least 16 years old at the start of your course.
  • You currently live in Québec.
General notice

You can only file 1 application and receive 1 reimbursement. Advanced C-level courses of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages This hyperlink will open in a new window. (in French only) are not eligible for reimbursement.

How to apply for reimbursement

Apply in 2 stages: first in your country of origin and then when you live in Québec.

In your country of origin

  1. Download the form Demande de remboursement des frais de cours de français suivis à l’étranger [Application for reimbursement of the cost of French courses taken abroad] This hyperlink will open in a new window. (in French only) and print it.
  2. Ask an authorized person from the language school to:
    • complete sections 2, 3 and 4 of the reimbursement form
    • sign the form and affix the institution’s seal
    • provide, for each of the French courses you have taken:
      • certificate of studies proving you have taken the entire course
      • receipt proving you have paid the course fees
  3. Keep the form completed by the language school. You will need to send this copy to obtain your reimbursement once you live in Québec.

Once you live in Québec:

  1. Complete section 1 of the form
  2. Attach the documents requested in the form.
General notice

Do not send original documents, unless otherwise specified, as documents will not be returned to you.

  1. Mail the form and required documents to:

    Direction du registraire de la francisation
    Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
    1200, boulevard Saint-Laurent, bureau 2.200
    Montréal (Québec)  H2X 0C9
General notice

You can only file one application for reimbursement.

You must submit your application within 2 years of obtaining your permanent residence.

Once your application has been sent

If your application for reimbursement is complete, you will receive your reimbursement within 2 months.