Candles and other open flame objects can cause a fire if not used carefully.

Make sure you have enough smoke detectors in all the right places.

Keep a portable fire extinguisher on hand and learn how to use it.

Choosing candles and candlesticks

Use a stable candlestick made of a non-flammable material (e.g. metal).

Avoid multi-wick candles. They can produce a single, very long flame that can create large amounts of hot wax.

Avoid candles with lead in the wick. They produce lead fumes and dust that are toxic to children and pregnant women. To check if the wick contains lead, remove the wax from the end of the wick and separate the strands. If there is a metal centre, rub the metal on white paper. If a grey trace appears, the wick contains lead.

Tips for use

Always place your candlestick on a stable surface, more than 30 cm away from any flammable object (curtains, tablecloths, etc.) and out of reach of children and pets.

Before lighting your candle, cut the wick to a height of about 5 mm. Then trim it every 2 to 3 hours, if necessary, to prevent the flame from being too high.

Avoid using candles while under the influence of alcohol or medication.

Always snuff out candles when you leave a room or the house, even for a short time, and when you go to bed. Never leave candles unattended!

Snuff out candles as soon as they reach 5 cm.

During a power outage, never use candles as a light source when filling devices or appliances with fuel. Use a flashlight instead.