Under the Bourses d’excellence aux futurs enseignants program, the government awards scholarships to encourage students with an exemplary school record to enrol and remain in a certified undergraduate teacher training program. More than 2500 scholarships are awarded each year.
The program is aimed at supporting and promoting teacher training and the teaching profession.
To be eligible for the scholarships, a student must be enrolled full-time in a certified undergraduate teacher training program.
Universities select candidates based on the following eligibility criteria:
- the R score for students entering university from college or switching from another university program
- the university grade point average in years 2, 3 and 4 for all candidates enrolled in university
Scholarships are subject to an annual qualification and requalification process.
Eligible university programs (programs may be offered in English or French)
- Bachelor of education – school and social adjustment
- Bachelor of education – preschool and elementary school
- Bachelor of education – physical education and health
- Bachelor of education – arts education
- Bachelor of education – second language
- Bachelor of vocational training (students enrolled full-time)
- Bachelor of education – secondary school
- English language arts
- English as a second language
- Visual arts
- Español, tercera lengua
- Ethics and religious culture
- Français, langue d’enseignement
- Français, langue seconde
- Science and technology
- Social sciences
Universities will award these scholarships based on the eligibility criteria. Scholarship recipients will be notified by mail.
The scholarship is $7500 for the first three years of teacher training. In the fourth year, the amount is $3600. This adjustment allows scholarship recipients to also receive the $3900 Intern Perseverance and Success Scholarship.
The excellence scholarships do not affect students’ eligibility for Student Financial Assistance.
In all, exemplary students can receive up to $30 000 in scholarships from the Ministère de l’Éducation et de l’Enseignement supérieur during their teacher training.
The excellence scholarships are disbursed in two payments, one in the fall term and one in the winter term, so that recipients’ full-time enrolment status can be verified.
Note that these scholarships are taxable, and that recipients will receive a tax slip for income tax purposes.
For questions about Excellence scholarships for students in education programs
Last update: March 29, 2021