Obtaining a teaching licence

To become a teacher, you must have a teaching licence.

Application form for a teaching licence

Teaching diploma

Once you have completed your certified teacher training program, the Ministère de l’Enseignement will issue you a teaching diploma This hyperlink will open in a new window.. This is a permanent licence.

Provisional teaching licence

You also have the possibility of working while you study if you obtain a provisional teaching licence This hyperlink will open in a new window.. This licence is issued to students in their fourth year of a bachelor’s program for teaching preschool, elementary school or secondary school. It is also offered to students starting a master’s degree in general education or a bachelor’s degree in vocational training. To obtain this licence, you must first have a commitment from a school or school board that you will be hired.

Probationary teaching permit

The probationary teaching permit is issued to people who have completed a teacher training program outside Canada that is equivalent to a teacher training program in Québec and who have passed the language examination recognized by the Minister. To obtain a teaching diploma, you must meet certain conditions.

Letter of tolerance

A letter of tolerance This hyperlink will open in a new window. is a permission granted by the Minister, in exceptional circumstances, that authorizes an employer to hire as preschool, elementary school or secondary school teachers persons who do not hold a teaching licence. Letters of tolerance are issued mainly in regions with a shortage of teachers in order to allow employers to hire candidates who are not necessarily trained teachers. Letters of tolerance are not renewable and are issued only to employers.

Contact the school boards directly to find a job.

For questions about teaching licences in Québec


Québec City and surrounding area
418 646-6581

Elsewhere in Québec
1 866 747-6626