Conditions for acting as an officiant

Provided certain conditions are met, the registrar of civil status This hyperlink will open in a new window. can designate you as the officiant for the marriage or civil union of, for example:

  • a family member, such as your mother or brother; 
  • a friend.

As a designated officiant, you will be authorized to solemnize a specific marriage or civil union at a specific time. You must perform various legal steps to ensure that the marriage or civil union is valid.  

To be designated as an officiant, you must:

  • hold Canadian citizenship or have a permanent residential address in Québec;
  • be 18 years of age or older and able to fully exercise all their civil rights;
  • speak French or English;
  • have respected all the conditions of substance and form relating to the solemnization of a marriage or civil union if having previously acted as the officiant of a marriage or civil union.

In addition, you must undertake to comply with all the conditions concerning the form and substance of the marriage or civil union you solemnize.

Last update: April 6, 2023


Was the information on this page useful to you?
General notice

You have questions or require additional information?

Please contact Services Québec