Mushrooms are a naturally occurring drug. They grow in the wild and can also be cultivated. There are several types.
Mushrooms are a disruptive substance. They affect the central nervous system and alter feelings and the perception of reality.
|What it is called||Appearance||Characteristics|
Identifying mushrooms is difficult. Picking them from the forest can be dangerous as they may easily be confused with poisonous mushrooms.
They can be consumed through an infusion but are most often cooked, smoked or simply chewed and swallowed.
Effects of Mushrooms
The effects of mushrooms can take a while before they are felt and vary according to their type and origin.
Mushrooms typically cause:
- Alteration of sensory perception
- Shift from laughter to tears
- Stomach ache
- Heart palpitations
- Rapid breathing
Risks Associated with Mushrooms and Possible Consequences
Mushrooms can cause poisoning. Given that it takes a while before the effects are felt, a person can consume too much and become so ill that hospitalization is required.
Developing an addiction to mushrooms is highly unlikely. However, repeated consumption can lead to a very high tolerance so increasingly larger quantities must be consumed to feel their effects. And, given that it takes a while before the effects are felt, a person can consume too much and become so ill that hospitalization is required.
To learn more, read the Addiction section of Problems Associated with Alcohol Consumption and Drug Use.
Last update: September 13, 2017