Health Benefits of Fish
Fish contains many nutrients. It is:
- Rich in minerals, such as selenium and iodine
- An excellent source of protein
- The best food source of natural vitamin D
- The best source of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids:
- Are essential for the body’s development and proper function, especially the brain and retina
- Are essential for a healthy pregnancy
- Are said to protect against cardiovascular disease
- Have anti-inflammatory effects
Fish is also low in saturated fat and cholesterol.
Frequent consumption of fatty fish high in omega-3, such as salmon, sardines, trout and Atlantic mackerel, is said to have a protective effect against age-related macular degeneration, the leading cause of vision loss in seniors.
Last update: September 21, 2017